Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I understand Sarah Bridges, 2010, made a verbal commitment

+4
FANatic
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
pilotfan4ever
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I understand Sarah Bridges, 2010, made a verbal commitment - Page 2 Empty Re: I understand Sarah Bridges, 2010, made a verbal commitment

Post by FANatic Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:21 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:

You don't even have to contribute. Even buying a season ticket is enough. The mere presence on this forum makes you subject to NCAA rules. Conduct on this forum can theoretically impact the program adversely.

Oops!!!!!!!!! I think I'm going to be off to Mexico by the end of this day!!! affraid

Say goodbye to everyone for me... Sad
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

I understand Sarah Bridges, 2010, made a verbal commitment - Page 2 Empty Sarah Bridges Is On The Database!!!

Post by FANatic Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:23 am

THE DATABASE

Okay, UPSF, geezer, and anyone else out there who is familiar with the guy who runs this website - do we have source confirmation on Sarah Bridges or not???
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

I understand Sarah Bridges, 2010, made a verbal commitment - Page 2 Empty Re: I understand Sarah Bridges, 2010, made a verbal commitment

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:57 am

pilotfan4ever wrote:A buddy of mine talked to her Dad and confirmed Sarah is coming to UP! Apparently she is at Regional Camp in California this week.

Short of one of us talking to her Dad, this seems to be pretty good confirmation of Sarah.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1868
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:05 am

Great news about Sarah!

Just to follow up on this discussion... as someone who used to work for the athletic department, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that there are lots of on-line resources about what is and isn't permissable for "representatives of athletic interest" (boosters, season ticket holders, forum posters, etc.). I'm sure that no one here has broken these rules, but it's worth pointing them out from time to time.

The best and easiest resource I have found is actually on Gonzaga's website. (Not shocking, considering their over-the-top board that practically stalks basketball recruits.) Most of the information is stuff people already know, but there are some things that are banned that might surprise you a bit.

Here it is cut/pasted, except I changed all the Gonzaga references to UP references, since I'm cool like that:

Representatives of Athletic Interest
The University of Portland is responsible for the actions of its alumni, donors and friends. Under NCAA guidelines alumni, donors, and friends are categorized as "representatives of athletic interest". The University of Portland athletic department appreciates your continued support and interest, so below is a short reference page for you to use to stay within the rules when backing the Pilots. The University of Portland strives for the highest standard of ethical conduct and we value your cooperation in assisting us achieve this goal.

DEFINITIONS TO KNOW
Representative of Athletic Interest is someone who meets any of the following conditions:

* Participated in or been a member of an agency or organization promoting the The University of Portland's intercollegiate athletics program;
* Made a donation to any of the University of Portland's athletic programs or department;
* Assisted or been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student athletes;
* Arranged for or provided summer employment for enrolled student athletes;
* Assisted in providing any benefit to enrolled student athletes or their families;
* Contacted (by letter, telephone, or in-person) a high school student, grades 9-12, for the purpose of encouraging the student to participate in the University of Portland athletics program (no longer permissible in most cases);
* Been involved in any way in promoting the University of Portland athletics program.

Once an individual has been identified as an athletics representative, the person retains that identity indefinitely, even if he/she no long contributes to, or is involved with the athletics program.

Prospective Student Athlete (PSA) Defined as a student who has started classes for the ninth (9th) grade. A younger student may become a PSA if the institution provides such an individual (or relatives or friends) any financial assistance or other benefits not provided to prospective students generally.

Enrolled Student Athlete (SA) Defined as a student whose enrollment was solicited by a member of the athletics staff or an athletics representative with a view toward the student's ultimate participation in the intercollegiate athletics program. Any other student becomes a student athlete only when the student reports for an intercollegiate squad that is under the jurisdiction of the athletics department.

Contact Any face-to-face encounter between a PSA or the PSA's parents or legal guardians and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. (See 'Recruitment of PSA's' below)
Recruiting Any solicitation of a PSA or the PSA's family (including legal guardians) by a University staff member or athletics representative for the purpose of securing the PSA's enrollment and participation in the University's intercollegiate athletics program. (See 'Recruitment of PSA's' below)

Offers and Inducements Being involved, directly or indirectly, in making arrangements for, giving, or offering to give any financial aid or other benefits to the PSA or the PSA's relatives or friends. Specifically prohibited financial aid, benefits, and arrangements include, but are not limited to, the following:

Arranging employment for a PSA's relatives
Giving a gift of clothing or equipment
Cosigning of loans
Providing loans to a PSA's relatives or friends
Giving cash or like items
Giving any tangible items, including merchandise
Providing free or reduced-cost services, rentals, or purchases of any type
Providing free or reduced-cost housing
Providing use of an institution's equipment (e.g., for a high school all-star game)
Sponsoring or arranging for an awards banquet for high school, preparatory school, or two-year college athletes by an institution, representatives of its athletics interests, of its alumni groups, or of its fundraising organizations (See 'Recruitment of PSA's' below)

Extra Benefits: An extra benefit is defined as any special arrangement by an institutional employee or representative of the institution's athletics interests to provide a student-athlete or the student-athlete's relatives or friends a benefit not expressly authorized by the NCAA legislation. Receipt of a benefit by student-athletes or their relatives or friends is not a violation of NCAA legislation if it is demonstrated that the same benefit is generally available to the institution's students or their relatives or friends or to a particular segment of the student body determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability. Below is a list of some extra benefits:
Free use of a copy or fax machine
A loan of money, gift or use of credit card
Any signing or co-signing arrangements
Transportation to or from work or school
Office or home telephone use
Free or reduced cost on any item
Complimentary tickets to events/entertainment
Guarantee of bond
Free typing services
Use of automobile
Birthday/Wedding gifts
Shoes or apparel
Payment for work not performed
Rent free or reduced cost housing
(See 'Involvement With Current Student Athletes' below)

CONSEQUENCES FOR ATHLETICS REPRESENTATIVES FOR NCAA VIOLATIONS

NCAA member institutions are required to notify athletics representatives of consequences regarding rules violations. Any athletically related benefit or privilege may be withheld or revoked if the individual has engaged in conduct that is determined to be a violation of NCAA rules or regulations, regardless of whether such violation results in sanctions. A benefit or privilege may include, but is not limited to, an athletically related benefit received from an agreement between the athletics representative and the institution, such as ticket privileges. The revocation of ticket privileges may result in an individual being denied admittance to any University athletics event.

Always Ask Before You Act

RECRUITMENT OF PSA'S
Athletics department staff members and representatives of athletic interest always want to learn of new prospective student athletes. However, strict guidelines exist which prohibit much of what you can do as a representative of the University's athletics interest.

As an athletics representative you are prohibited from:

* Making in-person contact on or off campus with PSAs
* Corresponding with a PSA, their parents or legal guardians via written or telephone communication
* Contacting a PSA's coach
* Visiting a PSA's educational institution to pick up film or transcripts pertaining to the evaluation of the PSA
* Providing transportation for a local high school or junior college PSA to visit the University of Portland campus
* Inviting select high school PSAs to alumni events
* Providing an offer or inducement to a PSA or their parents, legal guardians, friends, or relatives

As an athletics representative you are permitted to:
* Employ PSAs in the summer after they have signed a National Letter of Intent (NLI) and after they have graduated from high school
* Attend high school or two-year college athletic contests (but you may not have contact with a PSA)
* Provide information to the University of Portland coaching staff regarding PSAs in your area
* Provide funding to benefit a local high school athletics program if
- The representative acts independently of the institution
- The funds are distributed through channels established by the high school or fundraising organization
- The funds are not earmarked directly for a specific PSA

INVOLVEMENT WITH CURRENT STUDENT ATHLETES
As an athletics representative you are prohibited from:

* Providing current SAs with benefits or services that are not generally available on the same basis to the entire student body (see extra benefits as previously defined)
* Using the name or picture of a current SA to advertise or promote the sale of a commercial product or service
* Purchasing or agreeing to purchase complimentary admission from a current SA for any item of value
* Contributing funds to finance a scholarship for a particular SA

As an athletics representative you are permitted to:
* Contribute funds to University of Portland to finance a scholarship for a particular sport (however, the decision as to how such funds are to be allocated in the sport shall rest exclusively with the institution)
* Provide summer employment to current SAs with compensation based on work actually performed and at a rate commensurate with other employees performing similar job duties
* Invite a current SA or the entire team and provide local transportation to your home to receive an occasional meal, (the meal may be catered); the offer is extended infrequently
* Commit your effort to one of the booster organization that work to support the athletics program at University of Portland
* Attend the athletic contests, home or away

RULES TO REMEMBER
Only coaches and athletics department staff members are permitted to be involved in the recruiting process. Alumni, friends, and other athletics representatives who are not employed by the University are not permitted to contact a PSA (or members of the PSA's family) by letter, telephone, or in-person (on or off-campus) for the purpose of soliciting their participation in the athletics program. For recruiting purposes, University of Portland faculty members are permitted to engage in in-person contact with PSAs, but only on the University of Portland campus. If an athletics representative recognizes a talented athlete, please contact an athletics staff member or coach.

A PSA remains a PSA even after he or she signs a National Letter of Intent or financial aid agreement to attend the University.
The PSA does not lose his or her PSA status until the start of classes at University of Portland or the beginning of official team practice, whichever occurs first.

DON'T DO ANYTHING FOR A PSA OR A SA WITHOUT SPECIFIC AUTHORIZATION FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF PORTLAND ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT.

The prohibition of contact with a PSA is not intended to relate to unavoidable incidental contacts with PSAs by athletics representatives.

It is understood that the athletics representatives may from time to time have contact with PSAs and/or their family members. Such contact is permissible so long as it is not made for the purpose of recruitment of the PSA, and involves only normal civility. In other words, if you meet a junior or senior high school or junior college student-athlete during your normal course of business or social activity, there is no violation as long as you do not discuss University of Portland athletics. If you are attending an alumni or athletics event and find yourself speaking with parents of a PSA, do not discuss the athletics program and excuse yourself from the discussion in an appropriate manner.

If a SA accepts any extra-benefits based on his or her status as an athlete or because of athletic skill, the SA will lose all eligibility for intercollegiate athletics participation.

Athletics representatives are reminded that NCAA rules regarding SAs remain in effect throughout the entire year, including the summer break.

Always Ask Before You Act.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:47 am

UPSF wrote:

Short of one of us talking to her Dad, this seems to be pretty good confirmation of Sarah.

I agree, UPSF. Sarah Bridges is a 2010 Pilot verbal commit as far as I am concerned! cheers
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

I understand Sarah Bridges, 2010, made a verbal commitment - Page 2 Empty NCAA "Athletic Representative" Rules

Post by FANatic Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:01 am

Great post and a good reminder to all of us, Stonehouse. It's nice to have a former athletic department employee to keep us on our toes. I'm quite sure none of us would purposely try to get UP or a PSA/SA in trouble with the powers that be. Being more knowledgeable of the rules is a good thing for any of us who discuss the Pilots on this forum, or who may run into players or parents at games, etc.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:13 am

pilotfan4ever - Congratulations on nailing the Sarah Bridges commit on your first post! Sorry for the delay in some of us accepting this as fact. I always believed it was most probably true, but we have learned to be a bit cautious on this site so as not to cause any problems for the Soccer Program or the Student/Athlete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by FANatic on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i felt like it)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:33 am

f you are just so excited about this subject that you are barely able to control your bodily functions, there are some things you can do

1) seek professional help. My therapist has told me that I'm probably OK as long as I don't fixate on any sharp objects.

2) start cruising the exciting NCAA.org sites. All the regulations are there in wonderfully arcane and tedious rulebooks, FAQ's and guides.

Here's some places to start:

rules and bylaws — it has the D1 manual and proposed legislation

eligibility and recruiting — information for recruits and recruiters. You can skip the part on sports wagering. They could have just said - "none".

But you'll probably not understand it all by just reading this. there are so many references in the Manual to other sources that you'll probably never come to the end of the lookup tables, and sometimes what you read doesn't mean what you think it does. Also, individual competition committes have their own rules, and they are sometimes told to ignore parts of them. (see section on soccer competition venues),
But it's fun anyway.

Enjoy

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11811
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

I understand Sarah Bridges, 2010, made a verbal commitment - Page 2 Empty The Bodily Function Dilemma

Post by FANatic Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:57 am

Well, geezer - who said I could control my bodily functions anyhow! If you were sitting next to me right now...Okay, I won't go there.

So what do you think, geez? About the confirmation of Sarah? Still no public quote? Isn't The Database usually a pretty certain confirmation, being as it has been said before that the guy who runs T.D. usually/always confirms before posting names? Very Happy
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Geezer,

You forgot the rulebooks for the actual sports. Just for fun, try to decipher the softball DP/FLEX rule (this one I know), and then try to make sense of the baseball DH rule (I don't want to go anywhere near this one!).

When there's a search engine just for the regulations it makes you wonder....
Wink
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:37 pm

FANatic wrote:Well, geezer - who said I could control my bodily functions anyhow! If you were sitting next to me right now...Okay, I won't go there.

Thank you. Also let me know if you decide to change your seat at the games.

So what do you think, geez? About the confirmation of Sarah? Still no public quote? Isn't The Database usually a pretty certain confirmation, being as it has been said before that the guy who runs T.D. usually/always confirms before posting names? Very Happy

Oh you can have pretty good confidence it's true, I suppose, though I'll still keep looking.

I'll note the database doesn't have Sarah in it last I checked, Just Elinor.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by FANatic Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

Check again, Geez. Sarah IS on The Database! (Just above Ellen Parker under the 2010 heading on the "by college" tab.)
FANatic
FANatic
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:16 am

FANatic wrote:Check again, Geez. Sarah IS on The Database! (Just above Ellen Parker under the 2010 heading on the "by college" tab.)

Yeah, OK. Ha Ha . but if you check the recently added list, she just got on yesterday. It usually takes most of the day for those things to make it to the spider, which I haven't checked yet today. Yup, here it is.

OK, if we trust the database as a source, (not perfect, but pretty darn good) she's in.

Welcome Sarah!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2