Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts On Seattle U and the WCC

+3
DaTruRochin
onetouchfutbol
Stonehouse
7 posters

Go down

Thoughts On Seattle U and the WCC Empty Thoughts On Seattle U and the WCC

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am

I've got to say... it was pretty darn cool to see how well they travelled. They organized a rooter bus and the visiting section was full of alums rooting for Seattle U. They brought cheerleaders and some students came down too... I was very impressed. But most of all, I was impressed by their school president sitting in the front row behind the bench, cheering on the team and giving happy thumbs ups and handshakes to the Seattle U fans. You could just tell that he is the right type of guy to make the difficult jump to D1. And more than anything, it cemented in my mind that Seattle U is ready to do it. They just got 5,000 fans into the Key Arena for a big homecoming game against LMU (which they won), and they carried on that momentum by brining several hundred fans down to Portland. I got excited thinking about how fun it would be for UP to have a close rival that is easier to get to than Spokane and is actually a fun city to go to.

As for the team, I thought they were well-coached and were clearly playing very inspired ball - they really, really wanted the win. I was actually impressed with the way the Pilots withstood their intensity. They were undersized but definitely had some talent - haven't actually seen Pep yet, but I've watched Seattle U on TV and in person now, and I'm pretty sure they could finish in 7th place out of 9 teams if they were magically inserted in the WCC today.

Anyway, I realize there are still some obstacles in terms of venue and other sports and revenue sharing and all that, but really... it just makes so much sense, and after seeing in person the commitment from the president and the obvious desire from alums to have D1 sports back, I know Seattle U makes sense for the WCC.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Thoughts On Seattle U and the WCC Empty Re: Thoughts On Seattle U and the WCC

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:47 am

Yeah, I'd be all for bringing Seattle U into the WCC sooner instead of later. On sports radio here in Seattle, they say the main reason it hasn't happened immediately is that some of the WCC organizers are worried that it will weaken the league so much that the WCC won't be able to send 3 teams to the tourney again (like they did last year). Right now though, LMU has more history and name recognition than being good in the present. So, if one of our own teams' record hurts our overall RPI, the idea of SU weakening the league doesn't hold any water. Seattle U wouldn't hurt the WCC at all if they came aboard next season.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:59 am

Seattle U is doing a great job of promoting themselves in the Seattle area... Offering huge game day perks, and free shuttles to Key Arena to students, not to mention working with local bars to get specials for Seattle U students on game day in the area around Seattle Center. While they won't fill Key Arena, it is a great way for them to be able to attract bigger crowds especially while they raise money and whatnot to build up an on-campus arena. They are taking this D-I bid VERY seriously, which is fantastic, and with seemingly stagnant/troubled programs like USF, Pepperdine and LMU, the new energy and excitement would be a much needed shot in the arm (Outside of the obvious success of the Zags and Gaels)..
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:00 am

athleticjames wrote:On sports radio here in Seattle, they say the main reason it hasn't happened immediately is that some of the WCC organizers are worried that it will weaken the league so much that the WCC won't be able to send 3 teams to the tourney again (like they did last year).

I understand that sentiment, but really... the WCC wouldn't have had three teams in last season if San Diego hadn't hosted and won the tournament. SMC and GU were locks due to their non-conference performances, not because of what happened during WCC play. I really don't think two more wins against a poor opponent would have cost GU or SMC their bids due to a weakened RPI.

I say let Seattle U and Pacific in as soon as Seattle U has enough sports to compete at the WCC level and good enough facilities. I know they are putting in a big investment... should be ready in a year or two I think.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:20 am

Stonehouse wrote:I understand that sentiment, but really... the WCC wouldn't have had three teams in last season if San Diego hadn't hosted and won the tournament. SMC and GU were locks due to their non-conference performances, not because of what happened during WCC play. I really don't think two more wins against a poor opponent would have cost GU or SMC their bids due to a weakened RPI.

I say let Seattle U and Pacific in as soon as Seattle U has enough sports to compete at the WCC level and good enough facilities. I know they are putting in a big investment... should be ready in a year or two I think.

I agree completely. I think the bigger issues at present are: Splitting NCAA revenues 9 or 10 ways instead of the current 8, and facilities/commitment. When SU petitioned the WCC last year (or whenever that was), I dont think it was clear just how serious the D-I push was... I think it is pretty clear now. If SU can maintain the momentum (and keep athletics funded to comperable levels and raise money for facilities), I think adding Pacific and Seattle will happen. But really, with the Sonics gone, Key Arena will make a nice home gym until something more intimate is built.... I saw something on the SU website (and I cant find it again now) that we are scheduled to play them at Key in a year or two... Road Trip!! Smile
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:22 am

Stonehouse wrote:
athleticjames wrote:On sports radio here in Seattle, they say the main reason it hasn't happened immediately is that some of the WCC organizers are worried that it will weaken the league so much that the WCC won't be able to send 3 teams to the tourney again (like they did last year).

I understand that sentiment, but really... the WCC wouldn't have had three teams in last season if San Diego hadn't hosted and won the tournament. SMC and GU were locks due to their non-conference performances, not because of what happened during WCC play. I really don't think two more wins against a poor opponent would have cost GU or SMC their bids due to a weakened RPI.

I agree. Although, they are going to be playing in Key Arena in the interm which would be an awesome venue for the WCC. I'd be for doing it sooner instead of later. Without the Sonics, Seattle is a big basketball market right now... Some people are thirsting for it.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Please, please let them in. Seattle is a much nicer city than Spokane. The best part about driving through there was seeing it my rearview mirror...
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:02 pm

PurplePrideTrumpet wrote:Please, please let them in. Seattle is a much nicer city than Spokane. The best part about driving through there was seeing it my rearview mirror...

Truth.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:44 pm

PilotNut wrote:
Stonehouse wrote:I understand that sentiment, but really... the WCC wouldn't have had three teams in last season if San Diego hadn't hosted and won the tournament. SMC and GU were locks due to their non-conference performances, not because of what happened during WCC play. I really don't think two more wins against a poor opponent would have cost GU or SMC their bids due to a weakened RPI.

I agree completely. I think the bigger issues at present are: Splitting NCAA revenues 9 or 10 ways instead of the current 8, and facilities/commitment. When SU petitioned the WCC last year (or whenever that was), I dont think it was clear just how serious the D-I push was... I think it is pretty clear now. If SU can maintain the momentum (and keep athletics funded to comperable levels and raise money for facilities), I think adding Pacific and Seattle will happen. But really, with the Sonics gone, Key Arena will make a nice home gym until something more intimate is built.... I saw something on the SU website (and I cant find it again now) that we are scheduled to play them at Key in a year or two... Road Trip!! Smile

Hey, maybe we could just trade SU for GU! Keep the revenue split 8 ways, allow someone else to win the basketball title for a change, and I'm sure there are other benefits we could think of. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:05 pm

Don't get these guys started,lol..... ...I bet whe could probably devote a month to Spokane jokes and the like.

I know a recruit who went on a visit there. I was talking to the mother of the player after they went there and she said " You know I didn't really care for that school, it's out in the middle of nowhere and it didn't seem to have a very well-rounded social environment".
I tried to keep a straight face and not reply . But, I just wanted to say to her you mean that town that inspired the movie the movie DELIVERANCE!!!

True Story.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:32 pm

I would also add that UP-SU would be give the famous Portland-Seattle rivalry a major college dimension. Come to think of it, starting a series with SU wouldn't be a bad idea even if SU doesn't join the WCC.

Speaking of going DI, Seattle plans to play a full DI schedule in all sports next year. They also want their athletic department funded up to the WCC average by 2011-2012. Their intentions seem clear to me.

http://www2.seattleu.edu/d1/display.aspx?id=1564
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down