Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What we know now

+2
Stonehouse
Rochin54
6 posters

Go down

What we know now Empty What we know now

Post by Rochin54 Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Back on the board here from a break, and didn't want to sift through the posts to place this correctly, so just thought I'd start a new thread.

Anyways, it was great to see a few games in person (Howard and SU) and to watch the Oregon game on local TV. I feel like I have a much better ahndle on the team after watching some games. Also, I thought listening to Rev after the SU game was great - he made some very good points and just sounds generally excited about coaching these guys. I was very happy with him as our coach after leaving that talk.

So going into conference we are sitting at 9-6, which really isn't bad all things considered. It seems to me that the biggest weakness we have is our lack of ability to handle pressure defense. I had thought that full-court pressure was our biggest problem, but Rev indicated (and after he explained I concur) that extended half-court pressure is a huge problem. If we can';t handle people getting in our jock on defense, then we can't move into a set offense. For us, this is a big problem because we do not fast break after a made basket. So, to score, we've got to be able to handle that pressure. Given that we're a young team, I'm optpmistic that we will continue to improve in our ability to handle this pressure.

I d o think that some of our full-court pressure woes could be remedied if we would try to break after a made bucket. We tend to fast-break after missed shots, but after a made shot one of our post guys grabs the ball and WALKS out of bounds while TJ WALKS into a position where he can inbound the ball. This is critical time that allows the defense to set up any pressure they want. If we got that ball out of the net and passed it in, we would ba able to, at least some of the time, get the ball up the court before a press is set up. After we get the ball up the court, we can pull back, slow down, and set up our offense if that's what we want to do after made baskets. As we currently do it, we already only have 26 or 27 seconds on the shot clock when we get the ball across the timeline. Then we struggle to get into our offense because the defense is extended, and all of the suden there's only 15 left before we've got to shoot.

Defensivly, it looks to me that we can win games because of our defense. I thought we were lacking a bit in howard and SU, but that may have been because of the opponent and timing and whatever else. Either way, for us to grab that 3rd spot, defense will need to be there. I love Rev preaching defense to these guys, because there will be nights where you turn the ball over (Oregon), don't shoot well, or the offense just isn't there, but you can play defense every night out. We've got to do that.

Whew - that's it for now! Time to bundle up and head back into the cold South bend night......I thought I was going to leave the cold and snow behind for a few weeks in portland....hmm.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

What we know now Empty Re: What we know now

Post by Guest Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Reviewing the pre-season, the UW win looks very good right now. They are 9-3 and just won in Pullman. There is no shame in the PSU and BYU road losses. Cal just beat ASU and is 12-2 so again hard to expect a win there. Nevada appears down from their recent success, but still a good win for UP. Northern Colorado might be one that got away, and I sure wish they could have sealed the deal down at Mac Court.

All in all, a good showing. Lost a few games to better teams, and won almost all the ones they should have. If they can continue that in league, defending home court for most teams, beating one better team at home, beating the two bottom rung teams on the road, and stealing another road win somewhere, that would be a 9-5 league result, which I would consider to be very successful. At a minimum I would like to see this team break even on conference games.

So, let the league games begin! We are the U of P!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Hmmmm...... 9-5 might be a stretch, though it would be amazing if it happened.

I'm thinking we'll go 4-4 against GU, SMC, LMU, and Pep. Just really can't see us knocking off either of the top two teams, and we have shown enough mettle on the road that I'm confident we can take care of the Lions and the Waves.

Really what it comes down to is USF, SCU, and USD. What makes me nervous is that Santa Clara and San Diego have started to look pretty strong. San Diego appeared to be in a big mess a few weeks ago, but Grier re-instated Trumaine Johnson and De'Jon Jackson has returned from injury after they feared he would be out for the season. Yeah, they still don't have Brandon Johnson and they don't have a ton of depth, but they are going to be very tough still - Pomare, Jones, Jackson, and T. Johnson is a pretty darn talented foursome.

And Santa Clara... man, they really scare me. Bryant is an absolute beast, Decensae White (Texas Tech transfer) just became eligible, Ben Dowdell is solid, and Marc Trasolini (frosh big man) is starting to step up. Their guard play is suspect, but their front line is really, really good.

San Francisco is, I think, the weakest of the bunch overall, but they have maybe the WCC's best player in Dior Lowhorn and they have won a lot of games I haven't expected. They are definitely well-coached, so they will be tough here in the Chiles Center, let alone on the road.

What I'm hopeful for is that we hold serve at home and pick up at least one road win against that threesome. If we can get to 8-6, that would be amazingly awesome. But to be truthful, I would be cool with 6-8 even... remember, we haven't won more than 5 league games in a looooooooong time. (Mid 90s.) Heck... remember, our next win will put us over our total win mark of the past two seasons.

Last edited by Stonehouse on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling yo!)
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:12 am

I'm Praying Rolling Eyes Hegarty can play that would give the Pilot's some more inside offense. 5 more "hard" fouls on Heitfelt (SP) , Pomare', Bryant, and Samhan would be great too. Kramer needs a break if he get's in foul trouble or tired and I think John could make it a few trips up and down the court like Hanibal did last year before needing oxygen. The offense and Post passing would free up the "Flying Dutchman" Robin somewhat I believe too. Sadly, Jasonn looks like he's still a work in progress and seems to be a drop off from are other three big men this year when he's in there. I hope he can get enough time court time to keep getting progressively better because he's trying so hard. The conditioning program has done wonder's for him too. Smile
I'm thinking 6-8, 7-7 at most. But who know's I would luv it if the Pilot's surprise us.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by navigator Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02 pm

They haven't fared too badly considering not being at full squad all year. Luke coming back from injury, Ethan than gets his sprain, Kramer knocked on the noggin. I'm kind of curious to see what they can do at full strength and adding Big John to that?? As long as the team chemistry isn't compromised I wouldn't think that adding a big guy like him with soft hands could hurt.
navigator
navigator
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:58 pm

I mean even if he can come in right now and put in a solid 10 minutes of play, thats 10 minutes where we still have a solid inside presence. Previously whenever Kramer goes out we get undersized with Luke (He scraps with the best of em, but definitely more of a 3-4 than a 5) or underskilled as with Jasonn. Big John, definitely has the size and from what I've seen/heard he has the skill as well, and I hope he can get enough wind by the time we play SCU, Hegarty/Bryant could be King Kong vs. Godzilla on the court... It's too bad his first game back will be in the McCarthey Center, baptism by fire i guess...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

What we know now Empty Big John

Post by upsailor Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:25 pm

Arewe even sure that John is back on campus ? I would be a little surprised if he were to suit up for Saturday night's game. If he did then I'd be even more surprised if he saw action.

upsailor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum