Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephanie Cox is on FSC tonight, 5 pm Pacific; 8 pm Eastern.

+9
SoreKnees
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
DaTruRochin
A_Fan
mattywizz
Auto Pilot
GUPhantom
onetouchfutbol
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stephanie Cox is on FSC tonight, 5 pm Pacific; 8 pm Eastern. Empty Stephanie Cox is on FSC tonight, 5 pm Pacific; 8 pm Eastern.

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:54 pm

A Facebook update for the WPS informed me that Cox will be on the Fox Soccer Channel tonight 3/23 at 5 pm for their "Fone-In" portion of the show. Hopefully the information is correct. I think I'll try to tune in while doing some cardio...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Stephanie Cox is on FSC tonight, 5 pm Pacific; 8 pm Eastern. Empty Re: Stephanie Cox is on FSC tonight, 5 pm Pacific; 8 pm Eastern.

Post by onetouchfutbol Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:27 pm

See Extraordinary ads for WPS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No1moklsowQ

These ads seem to be new for FSC. If one is made for Rapinoe or any other Pilot in the next few days, maybe someone can post it. Thanks...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Stephanie Cox is on FSC tonight, 5 pm Pacific; 8 pm Eastern. Empty Re: Stephanie Cox is on FSC tonight, 5 pm Pacific; 8 pm Eastern.

Post by GUPhantom Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Now....THAT'S....how to promote the WPS! Excellent Ad\Video! Thumbs up on that one!

NO skorts! Rolling Eyes
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Looks like Abbey is back with even more attitude: Very Happy
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 864
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:27 pm

Here's the one for Shannon Box. Hopefully, Rapinoe is next...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O6BTGJg9Rk
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:01 pm

I just have one question on that ad. Why wasn't she wearing the skort, or should I say wrap?

That is the only way you can get meatheads like me to watch women's sports!
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Speaking of the infamous wrap, I found this gem yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgtlMG7hVhc&feature=channel_page
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Well, we didn't see the whole unveiling in that clip, but if that's an indication of the campaign Puma is going to put forth for the league, it's pretty sad.
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:17 pm

A_Fan wrote:Well, we didn't see the whole unveiling in that clip, but if that's an indication of the campaign Puma is going to put forth for the league, it's pretty sad.

In their defense they did only have like 4 months to throw that together... Typically something of that magnitude gets 18 from start to release.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:42 pm

I wouldn't fuss too much about the uniforms. Its the launch of the league in a down economy that has got me worried.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:55 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:I wouldn't fuss too much about the uniforms. Its the launch of the league in a down economy that has got me worried.

Yeah... survival is really the greatest concern right now...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:I wouldn't fuss too much about the uniforms. Its the launch of the league in a down economy that has got me worried.

Yeah, that's a good point. I was reading that they've already chosen Dallas as a future expansion site. They haven't seemed to have learned from the mistakes from the MLS. Instead of choosing an area with an area with great youth programs like Portland or Seattle, they seem to be choosing an area that's heavily latino (which is what the MLS Commissioner used to look for apparently when he sought out expansion markets). I hope it's a success, but, in places like Portland and Seattle...you can make it a family affair where the little girls in youth leagues can attend games. I don't get the choice of Dallas, but, live and learn I guess...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:02 pm

athleticjames wrote:I was reading that they've already chosen Dallas as a future expansion site. They haven't seemed to have learned from the mistakes from the MLS. Instead of choosing an area with an area with great youth programs like Portland or Seattle, they seem to be choosing an area that's heavily latino (which is what the MLS Commissioner used to look for apparently when he sought out expansion markets). I hope it's a success, but, in places like Portland and Seattle...you can make it a family affair where the little girls in youth leagues can attend games. I don't get the choice of Dallas, but, live and learn I guess...

My hope was that WPS would have teams in areas where there's already a well established women's college soccer fan base, with the teams stocking players from their areas. Imagine a Portland WPS team drawing on graduates of Portland, Washington, Washington State, and Oregon (ok, and Oregon State and Portland State)! They would compete with a team drawing players from the Bay Area (Santa Clara, Stanford, Cal, etc.), with a Los Angeles area team (UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, San Diego, Loyola Marymount, etc.), with a North Carolina team (UNC, UNC Greensboro, UNC Wilmington, etc.), with a Florida team (FSU, Florida, UCF, etc), with a Great Lakes area team (Notre Dame, much of the Big 10), with a Philadelphia team (Penn State, Villanova, Rutgers, etc.), a Texas team somewhere (Texas, TAMU, etc.), and so on. In response to this concept over on BigSoccer someone said, "Well who would want to compete with the North Carolina team?" My thought was, "Well, we would, in yo' face!"
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1878
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:04 pm

UPSoccerFanatic wrote: In response to this concept over on BigSoccer someone said, "Well who would want to compete with the North Carolina team?" My thought was, "Well, we would, in yo' face!"

Especially since we have as good a claim as anyone to Marta and Cristian to pad the roster out.

sambafutebol/ Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11833
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:17 pm

thanks for trotting that one out again. Very amusing at it was before.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:08 pm

athleticjames wrote: Instead of choosing an area with an area with great youth programs like Portland or Seattle, they seem to be choosing an area that's heavily latino (which is what the MLS Commissioner used to look for apparently when he sought out expansion markets).

And latino markets are proven supporters of women's athletics due do the strong "machisma" that permeates their culture.... I'm gonna go ahead and silent
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by SoreKnees Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:36 am

I agree 100% on building the WPS on college loyalties. Moreover, it's not unprecedented. I think I recall that in the early days of the NBA (around 1960) each team got a regional draft pick for a few years. I think that's how the Cincinnati Royals got Oscar Robertson out of U of Cincinnati, for example.

You wouldn't build have to the entire team around the college players, but maybe give each team two or three initial picks in the dispersal draft of players from their designated region. After that, they could pick local players if they wanted to, but so could everyone else.

I suppose that New York, Boston, and Washington would lose out, so it's no surprise that this plan would be a non-starter.
SoreKnees
SoreKnees
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Remember the NFL was built on college teams. In 1869 the first college soccer football game was played between Princeton and Rutgers.
In the following seven years rugby gained popularity in the eastern schools.

At the Massasoit convention, the first rules for American football were written. Walter Camp, who would become known as the father of American football, first became involved with the game.

So how about that American die hard pointyball fans would scream if they knew real mans football evolved from a game of soccer using Modified London Football Association Rules.

Just ask Geezer he was demanding a tri tip sandwich at the gate.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:
Just ask Geezer he was demanding a tri tip sandwich at the gate.

Yeah, but I have switched to Empanadas now. It's what real futbol people eat.

Stephanie Cox is on FSC tonight, 5 pm Pacific; 8 pm Eastern. MeatEmp

MMmm ... good!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:56 am

Kinda looks like a chicken pot pie??

Back to top Go down

Post by Auto Pilot Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:27 am

up7587 wrote:Kinda looks like a chicken pot pie??
No more like a hot pocket with real food in it.
Auto Pilot
Auto Pilot
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:28 pm

Auto Pilot wrote:
up7587 wrote:Kinda looks like a chicken pot pie??
No more like a hot pocket with real food in it.

"Meat flavoring" is real food Rolling Eyes
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:
UPSoccerFanatic wrote: In response to this concept over on BigSoccer someone said, "Well who would want to compete with the North Carolina team?" My thought was, "Well, we would, in yo' face!"

Especially since we have as good a claim as anyone to Marta and Cristian to pad the roster out.

sambafutebol/ Very Happy

PG--I think I understand the gist of the article, but, my Spanish is definitely better than my Portugese... What exactly is Marta's connection with UP? This is obviously important for bragging rights... Did she actually register in the nursing school?

Very Happy
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:41 pm

athleticjames wrote:
PG--I think I understand the gist of the article, but, my Spanish is definitely better than my Portugese... What exactly is Marta's connection with UP? This is obviously important for bragging rights...

Very Happy

There's a link to a babelfish English translation on the right hand side. it's purposely a pretty fractured translation. The original might be hard to translate because it's not really Portuguese (or Brasilian Portuguese).

The whole thing started Last year when there were all sorts of reports at Spring games of recruits showing up who clearly wouldn't or COULDN'T have been here, including players who had already committed to other schools or were in National Team camps in places like Florida when they were "sighted" here.

KFTC and I were grousing to each other and one of us said something like "the next thing you know people will be seeing Marta at the games".
One thing lead to another and, well, you can see the posting date of the blog entry....
The "blog author's" name loosely translates as "you take April fool's"

It all went down in This thread. (starting at about the second page with a post from KFTC)
I think we had folks for at least a little while Very Happy
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:17 pm

Nice. Someone went to a lot of work to pull that one off. Pendejos de Abril...todos!!!
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next