Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nik (Probably) Out for Weekend

5 posters

Go down

Nik (Probably) Out for Weekend Empty Nik (Probably) Out for Weekend

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

According to Oregon Live
Briefly: Pilots leading scorer Nik Raivio is doubtful for tonight’s game and Saturday’s home game against Pepperdine after straining his right Achilles’ tendon near the end of Tuesday’s practice. “Maybe he’ll wake up Friday and feel a lot better or something, but he’s doubtful for this weekend,” Pilots coach Eric Reveno said after Thursday’s practice. “We’re not as good without Nik, that’s for sure. It means other guys have to step up. Offensively, he gives us some aggressiveness and an ability to create opportunities for others or for himself. And he does a nice job rebounding the ball, so … those two things are the main things.”

Jared Stohl is expected to move into Raivio’s spot in the starting lineup, with Taishi Ito, Nemanja Mitrovic and Eric Waterford most likely to split the minutes that Stohl had been getting off the bench. It also will mark the first time the Pilots have changed their starting lineup this season. … After 17 games, Raivio was averaging 14.1 points a game and also was second on the team in assists (1.9) and third in rebounds (6.1). He said he was injured in the final 10 minutes of Tuesday’s practice when he jumped for a offensive rebound and landed awkwardly on someone’s foot. “I don’t think it’s really bad, it’s just in a tender area,” Raivio said. “I don’t know how long I’ll be out. There’s no real timeframe, just whenever I can start moving. Hopefully, it’s not too long. I’m really disappointed. Watching everyone out here running around, it’s something that you kind take for granted sometimes. But especially my senior year, I want to be out there every second. Times ticking away, so I’ll do whatever I have to do to get better.”

Loyola Marymount also could be without its leading scorer and rebounder for tonight’s game. Drew Viney, the 6-foot-7 sophomore transfer from Oregon, is averaging 16.5 points and 7.2 rebounds, but is listed as doubtful with an injured right leg that forced him to miss last week's games against San Francisco and Santa Clara. … Last season, the Pilots swept the two-game series with LMU, winning 75-59 in Los Angeles and 73-65 in Portland. The Lions have a 45-38 lead in the all-titme series, but have lost the last four times the teams have met at the Chiles Center, including a 55-41 loss to the Pilots in the first round of the 2007 WCC Tournament. ... The Lions have no seniors and have been starting a lineup with one junior, three sophomores and a freshman. Last week, LMU dropped a 70-67 decision to San Francisco, but bounced back with an 81-70 victory over Santa Clara for their first WCC win. ... The Lions are 5-5 away from Gersten Pavilion, including wins at USC (67-59) and Notre Dame (87-85).
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Nik (Probably) Out for Weekend Empty Re: Nik (Probably) Out for Weekend

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:29 am

NOT a good thing, but I suppose if I had to pick a weekend for him to be out competition wise, this would be it... Here's hoping for a VERY speedy recovery.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mattywizz Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 am

ouch
mattywizz
mattywizz
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1230
Registration date : 2007-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by MaizeBluePurple Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:51 am

For LMU, it looks like Jarred Dubois is not mentioned as being out. So it sounds like his visit to the Hospital was a short lived one and that he has recovered from what ever he had.
MaizeBluePurple
MaizeBluePurple
***PilotFans Donor***
***PilotFans Donor***

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:04 am

This is not good, we need Nik in there! Thank goodness it was only a strain. So, it now looks like both teams will be without their leading scorers (Raivio and Viney)... so who steps up to score for us tonight? Robin (again)? Stohl? Ethan?

The silver lining here is Stohl likely getting the starting spot; I look forward to seeing how he responds. And thank goodness we have Waterford back, too...

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:59 am

Yeah it's good to have him back, especially now... And honestly I think it is starting to lean toward "sink or swim" time for Eric, I realize he's only an underclassmen, but going into next year I think we need a little more certainty that the PG position is in good hands.

I know Jared has improved his ball handling a lot, but he is much better for us catching and shooting rather than distributing, even if he is capable. We've seen what a good PG can do for our team, and how important it is for our overall success.

But back to the present... Without Nik I would assume we are going to see TJ be more aggressive, and us going down low to Robin early and often... Let's assume that even if the perimeter D for LMU is suspect, they will do their best to put the clamps on Stohl, so basically TJ and Ethan should see a lot of open shots on the perimeter and/or look for that mid range jumper for our 3s/4s
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down