Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMU @ Portland, Thursday 8pm

+14
Rob's Jacket
pilotram
DTLegend
mattywizz
ShipstadPilot11
Geezaldinho
DaTruRochin
IronLions
dholcombe
MesaPilot1
Rochin54
onetouchfutbol
VillaGorilla
PilotNut
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

LMU @ Portland, Thursday 8pm Empty LMU @ Portland, Thursday 8pm

Post by PilotNut Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Note the 8pm tip off, due to ESPN2 coverage!

LMU comes to Chiles, with a record of 8-8 (6-8 vs. D-I opponents), 1-1 in WCC. Obviously, LMU has significantly under-performed to pre-season expectations, but this game makes me nervous... You have to think that LMU will pull it together for a few games this year, and they will be looking to avenge the 40-point pasting we put on them in Chiles last year (79-39).

Thoughts?

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

LMU @ Portland, Thursday 8pm Empty Re: LMU @ Portland, Thursday 8pm

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:25 am

Nervous? Yes. LMU has athletic players, which gives us trouble. Until I see that we have figured out how to handle pressure and aggressive defending, I am nervous.

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaGorilla Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:36 am

up7587 wrote:I am nervous.

[Ahem]. 79-39. That is all I'm going to say there.

Kids aren't back in school yet, so it's up to us old fogeys to whoop it up. I know there's a Young Alum pre-function, so I look forward to seeing us fill up the student section for old times' sake. Let's make some noise and show the youngins how to establish a home court in conference play.
VillaGorilla
VillaGorilla
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:03 am

up7587 wrote:Nervous? Yes. LMU has athletic players, which gives us trouble. Until I see that we have figured out how to handle pressure and aggressive defending, I am nervous.

Yeah, LMU has definitely underachieved this year. I still consider their athletic potential to be at the top of the conference. We have our work cut out for us, but, there's no need to get nervous about a home game. We shot the ball really well in the last game, and I'm sure Rev is coaching the guys on reducing the turnovers no matter who the competition is...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:21 am

VillaGorilla wrote:
up7587 wrote:I am nervous.

[Ahem]. 79-39. That is all I'm going to say there.
I hope the players don't remember that score. No

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 pm

I don't know. I'm not any more nervous for this game than I am any other game. This seems odd given my feelings after the zag game, but I feel more at peace with this team (perhaps it's the NW brews I was able to smuggle bag...including tonight's Hop Henge I was able to provide to some midwesterners). All the teams we play can beat us, but this is clearly now a game we should win. I believe that Our men understand this, are tough, and will come out and win this game. I think it could be close...or not. I don't really care. I like wins.

Heres to hoping I can go in and get my child to sleep Sleep
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Hey...despite their athleticism, LMU has been dreadfully inconsistent on the road all year long. It might be worthwhile to worry for about 10 seconds before downing an ice cold beer, but, they've only won 2 road games all year long. They haven't learned how to travel well yet, and I'm sure that our guys have no intention of making it easy on them in our place. I expect us to take care of business...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:52 pm

onetouchfutbol wrote:Hey...despite their athleticism, LMU has been dreadfully inconsistent on the road all year long. It might be worthwhile to worry for about 10 seconds before downing an ice cold beer, but, they've only won 2 road games all year long. They haven't learned how to travel well yet, and I'm sure that our guys have no intention of making it easy on them in our place. I expect us to take care of business...

Amen Brother!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Not nervous, home game....although could suffer Zag game hangover....I doubt it...with Rev keeping them motivated Cool

Now down in LA, at the Lions den, later in the season very nervous Rolling Eyes

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:27 am

Rochin54 wrote:I don't know. I'm not any more nervous for this game than I am any other game. This seems odd given my feelings after the zag game, but I feel more at peace with this team (perhaps it's the NW brews I was able to smuggle bag...including tonight's Hop Henge I was able to provide to some midwesterners). All the teams we play can beat us, but this is clearly now a game we should win. I believe that Our men understand this, are tough, and will come out and win this game. I think it could be close...or not. I don't really care. I like wins.

Heres to hoping I can go in and get my child to sleep Sleep
Put some of that NW brew in a baby bottle. It always makes me sleepy! drunken Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 am

Portland (12-4, 0-1 WCC) vs. Loyola Marymount (8-8, 1-1)
January 13, 2011 • 8:00 PM • Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center - 4,852)
TV: ESPN2
Radio: 800 AM (KPDQ)
Live Audio/Stats: PortlandPilots.com
Series: LMU leads 46-39
Last Meeting: LMU 77, UP 68 (OT) (2/20/10 at LMU)

This Week in Pilots Hoops…
The Portland Pilots (12-4, 0-1 WCC) return to the Chiles Center for a pair of West Coast Conference home games against the Loyola Marymount Lions and Pepperdine Waves. Portland hosts the Lions (8-8, 1-1) on Thursday at 8 p.m. in a game nationally televised on ESPN2. The Pilots will then welcome the Waves (7-12, 1-1) on Saturday at 7 p.m.

Game Coverage
Thursday’s game will be aired live on ESPN2 with Dave Flemming and Sean Farnham providing the call. Saturday’s game against Pepperdine will have a free video stream courtesy of portlandpilots.com All Portland games will be aired live on the radio in the Portland market on 800 AM (KPDQ) with Bill Johnson providing the play-by-play, including a 30-minute pregame show. The radio feed will be simulcast online at PortlandPilots.com.

Portland Briefly...
• Portland had its five-game win streak snapped in the WCC opener at Gonzaga, 74-61. Nemanja Mitrovic paced the Pilots with 16 points, while Luke Sikma added 10 points and 11 rebounds.
• The Pilots are 8-0 this year and 33-4 at the Chiles Center since 2008-09.
• The Pilots are rated No. 41 nationally according to the NCAA RPI as of Jan. 10.
• Portland is ranked No. 14 in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 (Jan. 10).
• Portland is No. 1 in the nation in team three-point percentage (.450).
• Mitrovic (50) and Jared Stohl (48) have made the most 3-pointers of any teammates in the nation (98). Mitrovic is No. 2 nationally in 3-point percentage (.562).
• Luke Sikma is leading the WCC and is 11th in the nation in rebounding (10.Cool.
• Stohl led the nation in three-point percentage last season (.478) and is No. 2 all-time in the WCC in career three-pointers. He currently has 293 career threes and trails only Jeff Fryer (LMU, 363).
• Stohl was named to the 10-player WCC Preseason All-Conference Team.
• Portland returns one starter from last year’s 21-11 squad (Kramer Knutson) along with Sikma and Stohl, both All-WCC honorable mention honorees last season.
• Head coach Eric Reveno returns with his staff for their fifth season together at Portland. He is the third longest tenured head coach in the WCC.

About Loyola Marymount
• Head coach Max Good is in his third year at LMU and returns four starters and 10 lettermen from a squad that finished 18-16 and was invited to the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT).
• The Lions (8-8, 1-1 WCC) split a homestand last weekend to open WCC play, falling to Saint Mary’s (98-75) before knocking off San Diego (67-58).
• Drew Viney and Vernon Teel, both All-WCC First Team selections last season, lead the Lions in scoring at 14.7 and 14.6 ppg, respectively.
• LMU was picked second in the WCC Preseason Coaches Poll.

About Pepperdine
• Head coach Tom Asbury is in his ninth overall year at Pepperdine, returning to the Waves prior to the 2008-09 season for his second head coaching stint with the Waves.
• Pepperdine opened WCC by defeating San Diego (75-55) and losing to Saint Mary’s (85-60).
• Junior G Keion Bell is averaging 20.7 ppg, but has missed the last three games (ankle).
• The Waves have lost games at Portland State (83-81) and Utah (67-60), and defeated Nevada (76-75).
• Pepperdine was picked seventh in the WCC Preseason Poll after finishing 7-24 and 3-11 in the WCC last year.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:52 am

VillaGorilla wrote:I know there's a Young Alum pre-function, so I look forward to seeing us fill up the student section for old times' sake. Let's make some noise and show the youngins how to establish a home court in conference play.

I don't recall getting an email about that and I usually get one. I could have missed it, what times the function supposed to start? Games not til 8 so there should be plenty of time to get to the function after work.

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 am

dholcombe wrote:I don't recall getting an email about that and I usually get one. I could have missed it, what times the function supposed to start? Games not til 8 so there should be plenty of time to get to the function after work.

Check your inbox...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm going to try and be in the chatroom during the game....drink specials & all the armchair coaching included for us out-of-towners who can't make the game....HALF COURT SEATS & free stat tracker are still available....this is the first LMU, PEPP. series I won't be at in 4 yrs ...but the flip side is this year might be the first year I get to attend the ZAG WEEKEND SERIES cheers (if you know who can get an extra set of tickets).

Mesapilot1

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

LMU @ Portland, Thursday 8pm Empty Don't get too nervous Pilots...

Post by IronLions Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Guarding the 3 point line is one of the things we have done really poorly this season. We are coming off a very bad game vs. San Diego and a beat down by St. Mary's. One good note for us is Ashley Hamilton our starting center is back after breaking his hand a few weeks ago. Check out our freshman PG Anthony Ireland will probably remind you guys of Campbell...not as good of course but doing well for us this year. I'm just hoping we don't lose by 40 again.

Last year was a pretty crazy trip to the Chiles Center for us. Our starting point guard fainted on the airplane on the trip up and the team bus got caught in heavy traffic driving to the game.

Go Lions
http://www.lmubasketball.blogspot.com/

PS- Bailey is awesome...watched him play this summer. His shot needs some work but he is super athletic and attacks the basket really well.
IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks for the scoop Ironnlions, always the inside stuff from a great fellow Wcc member, g o od luck, hope you guys can pick up few upsets.....but not from the Pilot's.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:56 pm

Whew...

79-78 2OT...

Got outscored 9-2 in the last 2:30 of regulation to get there...

This trend of Waterford crumbling after making a mistake is not a trend I like to see, especially after playing relatively solid the rest of the game. That said, Douglas stepped in and played pretty strong in the overtime periods. Methinks he and LMU's Ireland are going to have quite the competition for the next 4 years, pretty exciting.

Side note: Nice of ESPN2 to bring in the HD cameras this year, me likey! (especially after having to deal with the crap SD FSN uses for that school up north)
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks for keeping me up til 2am Pilots!

Luke and Kramer, I have a man crush on you both. I'm sorry about that.

Wow. We really needed that "w", and just squeaked it out. Ugly game at times. Almost lost it. Got it back. Pulled it out in the end. Wow.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:02 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:Whew...

79-78 2OT...

Got outscored 9-2 in the last 2:30 of regulation to get there...

Yeah, strange game, unbeaten streak at home continues....I liked Rev's move to put Timmy in at the end, what a luxury to put your freshman pt guard in at the end..... Very Happy

Revs great recruiting is starting to pay dividends, how many teams do you know can put their backup freshman pt guard in for the end of the game.....

Last edited by MesaPilot1 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 pm

I wonder what Kramer said to bring out that dumb elbow from Teel... And better yet who on the bench is he teaching his enforcer ways to? I'm gonna miss that kid next year.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:10 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:I wonder what Kramer said to bring out that dumb elbow from Teel... And better yet who on the bench is he teaching his enforcer ways to? I'm gonna miss that kid next year.

I vote that he teaches Nicholas a few of his tricks.

Actually, I don't think he has any tricks. Just tough, physical play until the whistle blows. No extra trash, just playing like a man. People hate that he can play tough and physical but doesn't really engage in some of the BS that gets people in trouble. See Teal as the example. Kramer literally said nothing to Teal, but Vernon engaged in the extra BS because he doesn't play that game like Kramer does. Kramer will foul you hard and get fouled hard. He doesn't care. No big deal. I love that!
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:14 pm

It looks like both big red & the spokane prep kid will do fine....It doesn't hurt to have Revs example when he played.....there is this infamous story that Monty (Cal coach) tells about Rev as a player at Stanford when the arch-rival CAL CHEERLEADERS didn't get off the court fast enough....something about a well placed basketball thrown at bullet speed got them off the court Quickly.....lol...

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 pm

Hahaha, good point... Although I'm sure his signature smirk draws a bit of ire from time to time.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 pm

I think Rev recruits the type of big man who wants to go to war with him...but like you said a kidplays hard basketball, and can take a foul when hacked by the other team as well.

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:25 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:I wonder what Kramer said to bring out that dumb elbow from Teel... And better yet who on the bench is he teaching his enforcer ways to? I'm gonna miss that kid next year.

he probably just cited Teel's stats for the night.

Casuall game - I knew we's pull it out. LMU @ Portland, Thursday 8pm 1674
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11833
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next