Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U23 players announced for April-May camp

4 posters

Go down

U23 players announced for April-May camp Empty U23 players announced for April-May camp

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:25 am

Congrats to our women. It looks like this camp is all college players- no WPS players.

I notice that there are no UNC or UCLA players on the team. I wonder if it is class conflicts or coaches holding players. Anson did this a couple years ago to make a run. B.J. Snow may think putting his new team together is more important.

U.S. U-23 WNT Roster By Position:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Bianca Henninger (Santa Clara; Los Gatos, Calif.), Chantel Jones (Virginia; Midlothian, Virginia), Jillian Mastroianni (Boston College; Durham, Conn.)
DEFENDERS (9): Cloee Colohan (Portland; West Point, Utah), Katie Deines (Washington; Issaquah, Wash.), Camille Levin (Stanford; Newport Coast, Calif.), Mariah Nogueira (Stanford; Westminster, Calif.), Alyssa Pember (Boston College; Northport, N.Y.), Toni Pressley (Florida State; Melbourne, Florida) Ashley Rape (Duke; Dallas, Texas), Morgan Stith (Virginia; Montclair, N.J.), Kika Toulouse (Virginia; Arlington, Virginia)
MIDFIELDERS (7); Vanessa DiBernardo (Illinois; Naperville, Ill.), Katy Frierson (Auburn, Homewood, Ala.), Tori Huster (Florida State; Cincinnati, Ohio), Jordan Jackson (Nebraska; Overland Park, Ks.)Kendall Johnson (Portland; Portland, Oregon), Erika Tymrak (Florida; Lakewood Ranch, Florida), Ingrid Wells (Georgetown; Upper Montclair, N.J.)
FORWARDS (5): Melissa Henderson (Notre Dame; Garland, Texas), Laura Heybour (Michigan State; Hudsonville, Mich.), Merritt Mathias (Texas A&M; Birmingham, Ala.), Stephanie Ochs (San Diego; San Diego, Calif.), Casey Short (Florida State; Naperville, Ill.)

Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11838
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

U23 players announced for April-May camp Empty Re: U23 players announced for April-May camp

Post by Greek Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:38 am

Can't speak for UNC but I don't think BJ has an issue with any of his players participating, but other than Leroux, who is trying to compete on the Nat. team, who else is there? I don't think there is anybody. Everyone who was on that player pool has graduated.

Greek
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

U23 players announced for April-May camp Empty Re: U23 players announced for April-May camp

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Hmm..

Charney has played u16, u18, and u20
Bywaters played on the 2008 u 20 that won it.

Richmond, Wright, and Sandeford would be eligible. All have done "U" stints.
Wright played for the u23's that went to England.

Cline is in the pool.

Maybe others.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Greek Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Yes, all have experience, more or less. Of course, Wright graduated and those listed in the camp are all in college but my point, or I should I say my opionion is that most of these have been peripheral players other than Bywaters and Richmond, both of whom were kind of "promoted" by their, then, college/Nat. team coach and also Richmond is coming off of an acl. I just think there is an awful lot of talent in this player pool and others are getting a shot that they might have not otherwise received. Again, my opinion.

Greek
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Charney was a YNT when she didn't start here, now she isn't when she did start there...

<edit> thanks for your opinion. I admit to really not knowing a lot about what is going on there. It just seems when those two programs don't contribute something, it's not normal. >

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Fan Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Geezer as usual has the early info, but here is the official UP announcement:

Colohan, Johnson Invited to U-23 Training Camp

CHICAGO (April 18, 2011) – The University of Portland will have two players called into the U.S. Under-23 Women’s National Team Training camp scheduled for April 24-May 1 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. Defender Cloee Colohan and midfielder Kendall Johnson are two of the 24 players invited by Bill Irwin, Portland’s Director of Soccer and the U-23 Head Coach.

With the Women’s Professional Soccer season underway, the training camp roster is made up entirely of collegiate players. Johnson is one of four players in camp (goalkeeper Bianca Henninger, defender Toni Pressley, midfielder Kendall Johnson and forward Casey Short) who represented the USA at the 2010 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Germany, while Colohan and midfielder Erika Tymrak were on the U.S. team that came within minutes of winning the 2008 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in Zealand.

On April 27, the U-23s will scrimmage against the U.S. U-20 WNT that is holding a concurrent training camp. The team will also face women’s club Ajax of Los Angeles (April 29) and WPSL side Orange County Waves (April 30).

U.S. U-23 WNT Roster By Position:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Bianca Henninger (Santa Clara; Los Gatos, Calif.), Chantel Jones (Virginia; Midlothian, Virginia), Jillian Mastroianni (Boston College; Durham, Conn.)
DEFENDERS (9): Cloee Colohan (Portland; West Point, Utah), Katie Deines (Washington; Issaquah, Wash.), Camille Levin (Stanford; Newport Coast, Calif.), Mariah Nogueira (Stanford; Westminster, Calif.), Alyssa Pember (Boston College; Northport, N.Y.), Toni Pressley (Florida State; Melbourne, Florida) Ashley Rape (Duke; Dallas, Texas), Morgan Stith (Virginia; Montclair, N.J.), Kika Toulouse (Virginia; Arlington, Virginia)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Vanessa DiBernardo (Illinois; Naperville, Ill.), Katy Frierson (Auburn, Homewood, Ala.), Tori Huster (Florida State; Cincinnati, Ohio), Jordan Jackson (Nebraska; Overland Park, Ks.)Kendall Johnson (Portland; Portland, Oregon), Erika Tymrak (Florida; Lakewood Ranch, Florida), Ingrid Wells (Georgetown; Upper Montclair, N.J.)
FORWARDS (5): Melissa Henderson (Notre Dame; Garland, Texas), Laura Heybour (Michigan State; Hudsonville, Mich.), Merritt Mathias (Texas A&M; Birmingham, Ala.), Stephanie Ochs (San Diego; San Diego, Calif.), Casey Short (Florida State; Naperville, Ill.)
A_Fan
A_Fan
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by keeper Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:43 pm

I'm not sure I would put Charney in that "National" team for her age group caliber any more. That's not to put her down as she has skills. I'm just not sure she has developed enough to merit a position on the U-23s at this time. Basing that observation on what I saw at last year's OSU-UCLA game.

keeper
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down