Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oregon bans Native American mascots

4 posters

Go down

Oregon bans Native American mascots Empty Oregon bans Native American mascots

Post by Guest Thu May 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Here is a link to the Oregonian article: LINK

This is an interesting move by the state. Schools certainly don't have the resources these days to put towards rebranding, in my opinion. But, I do see the merit in their decision to ban them.

Back to top Go down

Oregon bans Native American mascots Empty Re: Oregon bans Native American mascots

Post by DoubleDipper Thu May 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Probably a good move, but I can’t but think some native rodents (with large flat tails) and native water fowl could be next on the list. As the Norse did not arrive until around the 10th Century, I think they’ll be left alone.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11427
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Oregon bans Native American mascots Empty Re: Oregon bans Native American mascots

Post by Geezaldinho Fri May 18, 2012 4:51 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:Probably a good move, but I can’t but think some native rodents (with large flat tails) and native water fowl could be next on the list. As the Norse did not arrive until around the 10th Century, I think they’ll be left alone.

DoubleDipper wrote:Probably a good move, but I can’t but think some native rodents (with large flat tails) and native water fowl could be next on the list.  As the Norse did not arrive until around the 10th Century, I think they’ll be left alone.

Actually, I was thinking about universities that perpetuate slurs against ethic groups.

Oregon bans Native American mascots 0fceae50

Crusaders might be after that. I mean, really, there isn't a lot good to be said about that history.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11833
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Fri May 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Interestingly enough, Geezer, the one board member who voted no felt the proposal was too specific. She wanted to drop names like "Saints" and "Devils" as well.

Crusaders? Totally insensitive. Ditto the Cavaliers.

The Vikings, Saxons, Spartans, and Trojans are hardly role models for today's youth.

Gladiators? Slaves, and they killed each other so the Romans could be entertained.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Sat May 19, 2012 8:56 am

And what about the poor Lava Bears? The subjugation of mystical creatures has gone too far!

And lest we forget the poor Fighting Fishermen.... (I'm pretty sure that's what the Geez was referring to....)

DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down