Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephanie Cox Begins New Career

2 posters

Go down

Stephanie Cox Begins New Career Empty Stephanie Cox Begins New Career

Post by DaTruRochin Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:53 pm

http://www.sounderswomen.com/home/650258.htmll]

Seems like a pretty good fit... Plus it will still allow her to pursue state side professional league playing, and she gets to build her coaching resume. (All without having to move from Gig Harbor.) Congrats to Stephanie, the Loggers just got one hell of a mentor in their new assistant coach!
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Stephanie Cox Begins New Career Empty Re: Stephanie Cox Begins New Career

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:40 am

Stephanie update:
Port Orchard Independent: wrote:The recovery time for professional athletes seemingly becomes shorter every year.

Stephanie Cox is the latest example of that.

The wife of South Kitsap assistant boys basketball coach, Brian Cox, signed June 19 with Seattle Reign FC of the National Women’s Soccer League. Cox just gave birth to the couple’s first child, Kaylee, on April 7.

“I definitely had my sights set on getting back for part of this season after her,” she said.

Cox, 27, initially was expected to make her Reign FC debut during Saturday’s 3-1 win against the Chicago Red Stars at Starfire Sports Stadium, but that was pushed back.

“I definitely have a ways to go,” Cox said. “It feels good to get out with the team and [Coach Laura Harvey] has been really patient with my progress.”

Cox is not certain when she will play. Reign FC has four home games this month. Whenever her debut comes, Harvey expects Cox to make an impact.

A Parade All-American out of Elk Grove High School near Sacramento, Calif., she played soccer at the University of Portland, where she helped the Pilots win the NCAA women’s soccer tournament in 2005 with a 23-0-2 record. That is where the West Coast Conference Defender of the Year met her husband, who pitched for the university’s baseball team.

The couple now lives in Gig Harbor — he works as an investment advisor for Pacific Asset Management in Port Orchard — but soccer has taken her to at least 15 countries around the world. She competed with the United States women’s soccer team during the World Cup and also won a gold medal for the team during the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

She was the youngest player on the U.S. team, but her dream of playing in Beijing appeared over when she was not on the final list of players for coach Pia Sundhage’s team five years ago.

“Disappointed doesn’t describe it because a player of that caliber who was involved in the World Cup is not to be involved with the Olympics,” University of Portland coach Garrett Smith said at the time. “It might have been the first team she’s been cut from in her life.”

That changed June 11, 2008, when Cat Whitehill tore the anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee while playing in the Peace Cup in North Korea. Cox, who plays outside back, was given the call to replace Whitehill, a fellow defender. She played well there and was added to Sundhage’s 18-player roster.

Cox, who signed with Reign FC on the same day as former Portland teammate Megan Rapinoe, previously played with the Los Angeles Sol and Boston Breakers of the now-defunct Women’s Soccer League in addition to the Seattle Sounders Women.

She joked that she still has “a couple more miles left in my legs” as one of the older players on Reign FC. That does not mean she anticipates playing for several more years. In the past, Cox was a national spokesperson for National Foster Care Month for Casey Family Programs. Her parents took in foster children while she was growing up and she long has stressed the importance of family.

“I think as long as it’s good for my family,” she said, referring to her future playing soccer. “We’ll see how it goes.”
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11452
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down