Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMU Tonight

5 posters

Go down

LMU Tonight Empty LMU Tonight

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:37 am

OK... so what are you all thinking about the game tonight?

I'm thinking that this is definitely a game the Pilots can win, but also a potentially dangerous one considering that LMU has been getting tossed around lately and really need a win to help salvage their season. So I think they'll come out hungry, and the Pilots will need to stay composed and play their game. If we can dictate the flow of the game, I think we'll be in good shape.

Interestingly, LMU has not won a home game this year: 0-7 so far. And they've lost seven in a row overall. Their record for the year is 3-14, with wins over Presbyterian, Mercer, and Boise State.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of the game from the Sports Network:

http://www.kansascity.com/472/story/443768.html

Just going down LMU's roster... they've got some young players that people might not be familiar with.

Their best player is Orlando Johnson, a freshman guard/wing who averages 13+ points a game and is their leading rebounder at about 5 rebounds a game. Shawn Deadwiler, a sophomore guard, is their second-leading scorer at almost 10 a game. After that, Tim Diedrichs (a freshman post player) scores 7+ a game but at 6'9" only averages 3.5 boards. John Ziri, their only senior, averages 7+ a game and is second in rebounding. Marko Deric, a junior post, is having a pretty poor season - 6+ points and 3+ boards a game. Corey Counts, a junior former walk-on, just torched the Zags for 22 points but averages only about 6 a game. Beyond that, Tention goes pretty deep into his bench... 12 players are averaging 8+ minutes a game, though two of those players (Mason Maynard and Terron Sutton) have only played in about 12 games.

You can look at all their stats here:

http://www.kansascity.com/472/story/443768.html

So what's my prediction? I think that we can definitely take advantage in the paint. Luke and Kramer should clean up the glass down and, along with Robin, can probably score some points against the soft LMU front line. I'm not sure who will guard Johnson... I'm guessing it will be Sherrard, so we will need a good game out of him on the defensive end. If Johnson does start going off, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carter come in and see if he can't shut him down a bit... I know Marcus doesn't get a ton of minutes, but he is probably our most capable perimiter defender.

In the WCC tournament win over LMU last year Taishi totally dominated the game, so it will be interesting to see what he does against them tonight. He scored 16 in that game, and 7 and 16 in the regular season games too. So he's seen plenty of success against the Lions.

OK... prediction time? How about UP wins 65-55. Robin is the leading scorer, followed by Sherrard and Raivio. Sikma and Kramer get tons of rebounds, and Stohl comes off the bench to knock down a few threes. Ito doesn't score a ton but has a solid overall game.
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2007-06-07

Back to top Go down

LMU Tonight Empty Re: LMU Tonight

Post by PilotNut Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:51 am

A solid prediction, Stonehouse. I agree that this is a game that we should dominate in the paint. If we can hold down the perimeter 3's, I think we win; this requires shutting down Orlando... just the role for Sherrard. Lets start out strong and take control of the game from the tip... lets not let them get ANY rhythm or confidence going.

This is a game that LMU really will want to win; in their mind, one of the most winnable games on their WCC schedule. Lets prove them oh so wrong! Basketball

Also a reminder that the game is being televised on ESPNU at 8pm. Anyone heading to the T-Room or On Deck to watch?

Go Pilots! Tame the Lions!

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 am

I think you guys are thinking the right way. At least the team has three players who can step up and score now, instead of the other team being able to just concentrate on one guy.
Maybe Sikma can step up his point production. But it's nice to see him and Knutson don't get pushed around underneath for a pair of freshman. Although Sikma does alot of little things during the game like Ito does that don't always show up on the stat sheet.
It was nice to see Ito nail a three to keep other team's from being able to play off of him once in the frontcourt.
One thing about the Pilots that impress'es me is they seem to generally get off to a good start, I think that is due to good preparation and coaching coming out of the Lockeroom

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 am

Agreed, Mesa... I was just thinking about that on Saturday night, with our fast start.

Remember the dreadful trait of previous-coaches teams, who seemed to come out in most games and spot the other team 10-12 points right off the bat?! Mad Man, that was excrutiating.

Is it 8pm yet?

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:06 am

Oh PilotNut... terrible, terrible memories of playing catch-up all game long.

I think I saw a stat showing that UP has outscored it's opponents in the first half, which is pretty impressive considering our record. I think Mesa's on the right track - that does indeed show good preperation and a good game plan coming out of the lockerroom.

To answer PilotNut's question... I'm thinking I'll head over to OnDeck for sure. Anyone else?
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

LMU Tonight Empty On Deck it is!

Post by PilotNut Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:59 pm

Lets call it the first Official Last Minute Pilot Nation Watch Party!!

Pilots vs. Lions

Tonight 1/14/08, 8:00pm, On Deck Sports Bar in the Pearl.

910 NW 14th, between Kearney & Lovejoy. Wear Purple. Exclamation

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaPilot1 Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm

Wow, Stohls twisting , turning , off-balance 35 footer for three at the first half buzzer. 30 -27 Portland at the half. 11 turnovers though. Fast-paced game. Laughing

MesaPilot1
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1152

Back to top Go down

LMU Tonight Empty Ugh.

Post by PilotNut Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Not a good showing at all tonight in an u-g-l-y game.... could never find any consistent offense. 15 turnovers.

Congrats to LMU... they wanted the game more and deserved this W.

Lets regroup for USF on Saturday.

GO PILOTS!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:36 pm

Ugh indeed. I was only able to listen to the second half, but it definitely sounded like we weren't matching LMU's effort or intensity.

Ugly stat of the game #1: From the 6:16 mark to 1:07 left in the game, the Pilots DID NOT SCORE.

On the plus side, Smeulders really seemed to step up to the plate, especially early in the second half. That was good to see. What was not good was the fact that everyone else seemed to go cold.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:06 pm

yeah that drought killed us. just a basket or 2 in that time and the game could have gone much differently...

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonehouse Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:12 am

Blech... this was just a disappointment all around. Part of me wants to see some kind of silver lining in that it was a MUST win game for LMU, but really... the game was ours if we wouldn't have turned it over so much and/or would have hit a few more of our shots.

I'm not going to get too gumpy about it, because I know that this is a young team and I can't expect greatness on the road, but still... we had a great opportunity last night and squandered it. If we still have inklings of finishing in that 3-5 range in the conference, we need to play super well at home, which includes this week's games against USF and USD. If we can pick up a couple of wins there, I'll feel much better about the world in general.

Random side note... looks like we can never do a watch party at OnDeck again. The bums kicked us out a little after 9:30 with 8 minutes to go in the game. Ridiculous!
Stonehouse
Stonehouse
Draft Pick
Draft Pick

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:28 am

FYI, according to On Deck's website, they are open 11am-12am Mon-Thurs. That was just lame.

Oh, and they supposedly have Happy Hour from 10pm - close. How does that work when they kick you out at 9:30?! What kind of bar kicks out all the customers and closes at 9:30pm?! Suspect

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by navigator Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:18 am

It is frustarating to see all the forced up shots. Have to give it up instead of throwing up some crap. Until they figure that out it'll be a long season.
navigator
navigator
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Back to top Go down