Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

previous championships

+4
Geezaldinho
UPSoccerFanatic
DaTruRochin
fan from afar
8 posters

Go down

previous championships Empty previous championships

Post by fan from afar Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:42 am

I finally decided to invest in CD's of UP's two NCAA championship games. In preparation for the new season, I watched them last night, and I have a couple of thoughts. First, most of you probably already have this address, but this is where they are available:

http://www.ncaaondemand.com/composite_sports/women-s-soccer?browse_year=All+Years

The '02 team, under Clive, definitely played more direct, whereas the '05 team under Garrett was more oriented to ball control. Was that generally true, or was it true just for these games? In the '02 game, the goalies could definitely have prevented the first two goals, and maybe also the third. It seemed a very even game. Both defenses seemed very solid and difficult to break down. Santa Clara was a mentally tough team.

The '05 championship game was REALLY fun to watch, and not just because of the score (although that was also very satisfying). UP dominated the game from the beginning, and UCLA really wore down chasing. The ball control and short passing was fantastic, maybe the best I have seen from UP. Being a new fan, I was also a lot more familiar with the names - I had seen practically all of them play in person over the past three years. Woznuk and Meghan were freshmen, and maybe Budge - she was not a real effective player yet, although she did have the nice assist on Christine's 2nd goal. I love watching Sinclair play. Her two goals were beautiful, especially the first on the pass from Woznuk, which was truly a blast and which I think she hit with the inside of her foot rather than the laces. I think I replayed it at least 4 times. All four goals were well-placed, into the corners, although the UCLA goalie hardly reacted on Christine's first goal, the power one. That was the type of shot, first touch running to goal at full speed, that a player will typically over-hit, over the goal.

Anyway - it was fun. Time for a third tape.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

previous championships Empty Re: previous championships

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:56 am

That 2002 SCU game was a VERY tough matchup, the Broncos were defending champs and lead by the very stout tandem of Aly Wagner and Leslie Osborne. And to that point leading up to the game Portland hadn't allowed a goal in 8 games!

As far as attacking style, yeah, UP followed a bit more of the old school EPL style direct attacking approach with Christine and Rozwadowska leading the attack (Not to mention a pretty solid central mid tandem of Misaki and Huie). But winning that title helped bring in better talent, which lead to their ability to develop their more possession-oriented approach we now associate with the squad.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:38 am

Fan from Afar, in the 2005 game, go back and watch the first goal again. Just before the goal, you'll see Lindsay Huie take the ball from a UCLA player more or less on the left side of the field, with a sequence that then moves the ball forward and to the right side of the field. Then you'll see Huie take the ball from a UCLA player again, this time more on the right side of the field and continue the sequence that leads to Woznuk's goal. It's a good demonstration of what a valuable player Huie was, in ways that weren't always obvious.
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1879
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 am

One of the things you have to remember is that Clive was experimenting with changed formations in 2002. They struggled with schemes early. had Christine missing for National team duty part of the year, (First couple and last couple regular season games) and were depending a LOT on the defense to carry them.

In 2005 we just went at people and dared them to stop us. The passing game really opened up other teams. I still say the 2005 midfield is the best I've ever seen in the college game.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11838
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 pm

I agree about the midfield - Huey, Woznuk, Rapinoe. At least against UCLA, they really controlled the game, especially in the first half. Woznuk and Rapinoe did NOT play like freshmen. The announcers were saying that '05 was the first and only year Christine played the full season with no national team duty, and that she loved being able to do that. I believe they also were saying that Huey was a 3 time all-american. This was the first time I saw her play, and I see what you mean, UPSF. Did she ever get a run at the national team? She might be built too slightly.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:56 pm

She was a fringe national team player, but after there was no pro league after graduation, she decided to retire. Plus, you gotta remember that at that time, the US was into the Shannon Boxx/Abby Wambach bruiser type... A player like Lindsey didn't really fit the April Heinrichs mold.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:01 pm

fan from afar wrote:I agree about the midfield - Huey, Woznuk, Rapinoe and Sari. At least against UCLA, they really controlled the game, especially in the first half. Woznuk and Rapinoe did NOT play like freshmen. The announcers were saying that '05 was the first and only year Christine played the full season with no national team duty, and that she loved being able to do that. I believe they also were saying that Huey was a 3 time all-american. This was the first time I saw her play, and I see what you mean, UPSF. Did she ever get a run at the national team? She might be built too slightly.

fixed your post

and depending which poll, Houie was definitely a four timer. There have been threads here and on BS about the shot Linsay did or didn't get on the NATS.

The short version is that she was offered a chance to play as a defender. Stupidest thing I have ever heard of. She declined in favor of getting on with her life.

here's some reading:

https://www.pilotnation.net/women-s-soccer-f7/women-s-national-team-camp-four-former-pilots-t636.htm

and best of all A Message from Queenie
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by slick Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:47 pm

Regarding the '02 champs . . . in addition to a couple of matches at the Bluff that season I was able to see the round-of-eight Stanford PK win Thanksgiving weekend . . . sat in the middle of Stanford fans, the red-clad gentleman next to me and I both agreed that this winner would go on to take the title (UP was 8 seed, Stanford 1) . . . the lady in front of us turned around before the game and said "Are you folks from Portland Oregon or Portland Maine?" . . . . to which I replied "I thought you Stanford people were supposed to be smart!" . . . much laughter . . . many Santa Clara players were there watching from the sideline, having earlier that day at home qualified to move to the Cup semi's . . . . from my perspective, defense--then and as now--is paramount and the key player was #14 Orlandos . .

slick
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

previous championships Empty Previous Championships

Post by wrv Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:06 pm

I recall the 2002 game being a great coming out for Sinclair, if anyone thought she had not yet come on to the national scene. Her first goal was interesting, and may have been a pass. The ball bent from right to left along the turf and ultimately into the far right corner of the goal, past the Santa Clara goalie who did not react well to the shot/pass, thinking, I guess, that it was not headed in. I think Sinclair, when asked whether it was a shot, retorted that "it went in, didn't it." If she did not say that, maybe she should have. The deciding goal in the second overtime again had Sinclair beating the Santa Clara goalie on a ricochet off the goalie's hands which arguably should have been gathered in before Sinclair had an opportunity to stick it back in. The bounce of the ball was going for the Pilots that day; Clive was as happy as he could have been, as ill as he was.

The Notre Dame game in "05 here at home before the College Cup was something to watch. Kori Alexander did a great job.

Those teams were special, nothing less. I am sure the CDs will show that.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:18 pm

wrv wrote:I recall the 2002 game being a great coming out for Sinclair, if anyone thought she had not yet come on to the national scene. Her first goal was interesting, and may have been a pass. The ball bent from right to left along the turf and ultimately into the far right corner of the goal, past the Santa Clara goalie who did not react well to the shot/pass, thinking, I guess, that it was not headed in. I think Sinclair, when asked whether it was a shot, retorted that "it went in, didn't it." If she did not say that, maybe she should have. The deciding goal in the second overtime again had Sinclair beating the Santa Clara goalie on a ricochet off the goalie's hands which arguably should have been gathered in before Sinclair had an opportunity to stick it back in. The bounce of the ball was going for the Pilots that day; Clive was as happy as he could have been, as ill as he was.

The Notre Dame game in "05 here at home before the College Cup was something to watch. Kori Alexander did a great job.

Those teams were special, nothing less. I am sure the CDs will show that.

I remember before that game that santa clara players were saying things like "well, sure she's a great player, but she hasn't shown she can produce in the big one". well, she sure showed that. 25 goals in the post season is still the record.

If you recall, the SCU score in that game was off 3 rebounds, so the idea that one goal was more deserved than the other is sheer rubbish.

Last edited by Purplegeezer on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by UPSoccerFanatic Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:36 pm

I think I may have posted this previously about the '02 win over Santa Clara, but here it is again. One of my favorite stories. A friend was watching the game with his family. His more or less 12-year old daughter watched the entire game without saying a word, except that when Kristen Moore stole Santa Clara's cross field pass and pushed it down the field into wide open space, his daughter quietly said, "This is it!" Moore pointed to where she was going to put the ball for Christine and put it there, from distance. Game over, Championship won!
UPSoccerFanatic
UPSoccerFanatic
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1879
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://sites.google.com/site/rpifordivisioniwomenssoccer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:01 pm

One of my favorite stories is that when Lauren Arase got taken out of the game, Lauren Orlandos (Hanson) gathered the troops together and counseled "no goal, no shots on frame -- nothing".

Allegedly she can be seen saying it in the video. I can't say for sure, but I totally buy into it.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fan from afar Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:22 pm

re '02 - I had never heard of Moore until I watched the tape, but that sure was an outstanding play. The Santa Clara player didn't come to the pass - she sat back and waited for it - and Moore's aggressiveness made her pay.

I thought it was pretty obvious that Sinclair's first goal was a cross. The goalie really misplayed it. However, the Santa Clara goal off the corner was also a gift. The UP goalie (forgot her name) just didn't hang on to the original shot, which she should have (she was a little off balance), and allowed the two followup shots.

Slick - I also thought Orlandos was great that day. I think she was also an all-american? She was like a rock. You love to have players with that leadership that Geezer mentioned, whether true or not.

One of the disappointments on the video was that it cut off right after the game - no postgame. I really enjoyed all the celebration after the game that someone had posted earlier, especially Clive, and especially when the Santa Clara coach gave him the big hug.

Re Huey and the Nats - I really think the national women went through a few coaches who did not do a very good job - unimaginative, bash the ball forward play. I think the current Boston coach (still having trouble with names) was the last good coach before Pia. I guess I just like possession soccer - the beautiful game. After watching the DVD, I have to think that Huey could have fit into that style of play.
fan from afar
fan from afar
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:28 pm

The 2005 team was magical and the primary reason why I became a Season Ticket Holder! Sure...the team was comprised of some very talented players...but...these players had an innate CHEMISTRY with each other! That chemistry transcended into the stands...everyone who watched the team play...saw it...felt it! Even folks who hadn't followed soccer before...understood how special and dominant the team was. Remember Larry William's quote? "They are bonifide rock stars"!!! It was an incredible time!

Bob Whitsett is quoted as saying "Chemistry is not that important"! Yah..right Bob...this team proved that thought to be completely wrong! The team was fluid...made things look so easy...particularily with ball possession and movement! Opponents knew what was coming....but couldn't stop it! There were more than a couple of them who resorted to keeping all their players on the defensive side of the pitch and pack the box.

One of my favorite memories of the 2005 Team was when the Pilots played the Ducks and beat them 6-0. Christine put in 5 of those goals. Tara Erickson was seen mouthing... "OH MY GOD!" to Portland State coaches who were scouting the game!

"As a coach and former player, I’m disappointed that we weren’t more competitive, but you also have to realize how good Portland is and what a gifted player (Christine) Sinclair is," said Oregon coach Tara Erickson. "They are No. 4 right now, and I can’t believe there are three teams in the nation better than the one we played tonight. That might be UP’s best team ever."

That was pinpoint analysis of the team early in the season and a preview of what was to come!

I think the second coming.... OMG II ...will be demo'd this weekend!!!

GO PILOTS!!!
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Kristen Moore is one of the Kristen(sp) greats of Pilot lore. That year she and Kristen Rogers provided rock solid defense on the flanks and the kind of speed UP had lacked in the past.

Moore, Rogers, Eaton, -- any Kristen in Pilot in history tops my list of Pilot greats.

Last year we had Moore's sister play against us for Texas. Kristen sat on the sidelines in Pantone 159 previous championships P159c and cheered for her sister Casey.

All is forgiven.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Redknapp Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:13 pm

We've been blessed to see some wonderful soccer players; playing the game the way it's supposed to be played. Huie is so right about the national team and the wrong approach.

Christine Sinclair is the best I have seen. Wonderful first touch on the ball. Completely unselfish. My favorite quote: the goal is so big, the keeper so small, I just put it where she isn't. Simple game.

Maybe this season we will see some more players step up to legendary status. Could the Olivier-Colohan combo be the new standard for central defense? Maybe Foxhoven, Schmidt and Enyeart will set a record for goals scored by a trio of forwards?

Time for the games to begin. See you in Eugene!
Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2007-09-15

Back to top Go down