Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biology Professor, "Dr. Houck," passes away...

4 posters

Go down

Biology Professor, "Dr. Houck," passes away... Empty Biology Professor, "Dr. Houck," passes away...

Post by onetouchfutbol Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:46 am

I received the news on Facebook that beloved biology professor, Dr. Houck, has passed away recently after a battle with cancer. Maybe someone can pass along a link to the story. She was clearly an exceptional professor who touched a lot of lives. She could instill a passion for so many subjects in her students like Marine Biology, and she was genuinely understanding. I really enjoyed her class, and she will be missed. Prayers for her family, and the UP community and science-related majors. Rest in peace.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Biology Professor, "Dr. Houck," passes away... Empty Re: Biology Professor, "Dr. Houck," passes away...

Post by DaTruRochin Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:10 am

I got that message the other day. Such a sad loss for the entire university. She was not only one of the most enthusiastic educators, but also one of the genuinely kindest and caring human beings I have ever encountered.

I took any classes I could with Dr. Houck, she was always there to not only relay the information but tell lively and fantastic stories that really helped drive the point home. I'll never forget her grad school story of her and the octopus that swore revenge, haha and even better was spunky Dr. Houck recounting the whole thing. She made an effort to get to know each and every one of her students, and when you came to her for help, she made sure you left knowing a little more and with a smile on her face.

Even as she was slowly succumbing to a long bout with cancer she was using the very disease that was killing her as an educational too. She described what was happening, how it was affecting her body and how it applied to what she taught all of us. To the end, the consummate educator who always put her students and family before herself.

I will miss you Dr. Houck, and am truly thankful for having the honor of being able to call myself one of your students.
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Biology Professor, "Dr. Houck," passes away... Empty Re: Biology Professor, "Dr. Houck," passes away...

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:31 pm

What sad news. She really was a wonderful example of how professors at the University care for their students.

My freshman year, after my first biology exam, she wrote a note on it asking to come see her because she wanted to meet the students who scored well on it. We talked a few minutes about what I had done in high school, what I wanted to do with my degree, and how my first weeks of college were going for me. What really struck me as a college freshman at the time was that my professor, who had a huge lecture hall full of students like me, would want to meet each of us.

Everyone who had Dr. Houck as a student will truly miss her.
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Here's a slide show that was recently posted on Facebook:

http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/UPortland-249279-becky-houck-memorial-education-ppt-powerpoint/

It's quite moving...
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post by fozziewozzie Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:51 pm

i am not an alum, but watching this slide show was truly moving. it is obvious that she was an important individual in many, many peoples lives. my deepest an sincerest condolences to all who loved an cherished her.

RIP
fozziewozzie
fozziewozzie
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Thanks, Fozziewozzie. Much appreciated.
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down