Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gonzaga - Saturday 1/7

+9
jake
PilotDrummer
Geezaldinho
PilotNut
VillaGorilla
dholcombe
Dean Murdoch
DoubleDipper
blacksheep
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gonzaga - Saturday 1/7 - Page 2 Empty Re: Gonzaga - Saturday 1/7

Post by NoPoNeighbor Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:29 pm

The Vikings managed to play their home game last night, defeating Sacramento State.

I wonder how often all four teams (Winterhawks, Blazers, Pilots, Vikings) have home games scheduled on the same night.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jake Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:The Vikings managed to play their home game last night, defeating Sacramento State.

I wonder how often all four teams (Winterhawks, Blazers, Pilots, Vikings) have home games scheduled on the same night.

In hindsight, the game could have been played last night. In fairness to those making the decision, they didn't know when or if the freezing rain would hit. Portland State is in a better situation with better access to public transportation (not as meaningful in adverse conditions but still helpful) and home crowds closer to 600 than 6000. I just hope they announce the new date soon, so I can book a planned trip to California.

jake
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:18 pm

jake wrote:The Vikings managed to play their home game last night, defeating Sacramento State.
~~~~~~~~~
home crowds closer to 600 than 6000.

211 last night.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11833
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Geezaldinho wrote:211 last night.
Announced!

I saw a tweet indicating
not more than 30 or 40, some of whom might have been trying to get in out of the cold. 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11427
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:27 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:

I saw a tweet indicating
not more than 30 or 40, some of whom might have been trying to get in out of the cold. 

They could have done that next door at the Rogue.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11833
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:47 am

Any word on a reschedule just yet?

This whole postponement really doesn't favor the Pilots...playing 7/8 guys a night isn't normally a recipe for easily dealing with the addition of a game right into the middle of an already tight conference schedule!
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1798
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Baylor lost tonight....so if Gonzaga can keep winning there will likely be more hype for the rescheduled date than the original date as they are now the last remaining undefeated team...I wonder what the contract with Root sports says. Do they get first right of refusal on TV rights to the rescheduled game or is it likely to be sold to a more high profile network? Perhaps all the TV slots are full and it won't be televised at all....

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Postponement irks Few

The decision to postpone the Gonzaga-Portland game last Saturday in Portland didn’t sit well with Few.

“We wanted to play Saturday, we should have played Saturday,” Few said. “And it caused a major headache because they overreacted to some pretty puny weather. Now it’s going to be a pain in the rear.”

There was some discussion about playing Sunday night but “Sunday was the bad one” for weather conditions, Few said.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jan/11/zags-worrying-about-lmu-first-then-saint-marys/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Murdoch Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:08 am

DoubleDipper wrote:Postponement irks Few

What a baby. Blazers and Hawks both postponed their games, but conditions were expected to be significantly better that the game could have been played in North Portland?

Tough call that had to be made, and I don't envy Leykam for having to pull the trigger. There's zero reason for Few to be bellyaching about this.
Dean Murdoch
Dean Murdoch
All-WCC
All-WCC

Number of posts : 1798
Registration date : 2015-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:04 am

Agreed.  Being that he is from Oregon, he should know better than to mess with these storms.  I am glad that UP and the WCC put the safety of teams, fans and emergency responders (who didn't have to rescue stranded fans) and other drivers who really needed to be on the roads, first.  

The entire city was under a requirement for traction devices and chains.... I am not sure if the call from the city to "stay home" had been made yet, but the postponement was absolutely justified.

Last edited by PilotNut on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by jake Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:40 am

I'm a Gonzaga grad, so I probably give Few more slack on this. I think it's fine to say they wanted to play, and they should have played. From there I think he should have stopped and the "puny" phrasing wasn't a good choice of words be any means.

The reality is at 5pm (when fan's would have been making their way to the game), at 7pm, and at 9pm (when fans would have started making their way home) the weather conditions were fine to allow the game to be played. I do disagree that the actual conditions warranted canceling the game. What Few isn't recognizing is that a decision had to be made relative to a forecast that indicated a chance of a freezing rain event during the game.

I do understand his frustration. Anyone would be frustrated to travel for a game, be ready to play the game, and then have it canceled. That being said, I don't think he should have vented that frustration as he did. Anyway, good luck tonight. Take down the Gaels.

jake
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochin54 Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:11 am

jake wrote:I'm a Gonzaga grad, so I probably give Few more slack on this. I think it's fine to say they wanted to play, and they should have played. From there I think he should have stopped and the "puny" phrasing wasn't a good choice of words be any means.

The reality is at 5pm (when fan's would have been making their way to the game), at 7pm, and at 9pm (when fans would have started making their way home) the weather conditions were fine to allow the game to be played. I do disagree that the actual conditions warranted canceling the game. What Few isn't recognizing is that a decision had to be made relative to a forecast that indicated a chance of a freezing rain event during the game.

I do understand his frustration. Anyone would be frustrated to travel for a game, be ready to play the game, and then have it canceled. That being said, I don't think he should have vented that frustration as he did. Anyway, good luck tonight. Take down the Gaels.

Fair point.

The thing that "irks" me is the way I read "they" was referring to Leykam and UP, who i think were in pretty tough shoes from an exposure perspective if they went on with the game and things went south. Now, maybe "they" is more broad than Leykam and UP. I don;t know. Just seems a little unreasonable to go after an individual(s) rather than the situation generally being annoying.
Rochin54
Rochin54
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodless 2.0 Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:14 am

Mark Few is a square cranker
Woodless 2.0
Woodless 2.0
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jake Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:34 am

Rochin54 wrote:
jake wrote:I'm a Gonzaga grad, so I probably give Few more slack on this. I think it's fine to say they wanted to play, and they should have played. From there I think he should have stopped and the "puny" phrasing wasn't a good choice of words be any means.

Fair point.

The thing that "irks" me is the way I read "they" was referring to Leykam and UP, who i think were in pretty tough shoes from an exposure perspective if they went on with the game and things went south.  Now, maybe "they" is more broad than Leykam and UP.  I don;t know.  Just seems a little unreasonable to go after an individual(s) rather than the situation generally being annoying.

Completely agree. I think you can use Tuesday night as a good example of what the possibility was (albeit with snow not ice). High school games were canceled, not based on the existing weather, but on what the potential was. There were a lot of places in the metro are where the weather before and at tip-off times Tuesday would have been ok to play. However, when the games would have been over, the weather was worse than even the "worst" forecasts. If last Saturday had gone a similar direction, the post-game situation could have been a disaster. It was a tough spot to be in, and a tough call to make. I understand the frustration, and that it's a headache, but I don't think understandable frustration was expressed appropriately in that quote.

jake
Recruit
Recruit

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:38 am

I've had the pleasure of meeting Coach Few on several occasions during visits to Spokane, and he's a good guy who is not arrogant, but often sees things from his perspective only.

It really helps that GU and BYU fly on chartered aircraft to and from there games and don't have to be concerned with airline schedules or passenger loads, but the rest of the conference is not rich enough to afford such luxuries.  (I understand a SMC donor stepped-up to pay for the Gaels flight north yesterday).

In 2009, due to canceled flights because of the Spokane weather, the Pilots did not arrive at the GU gym until after 4pm for a 7pm game.  I don't remember hearing of any public complaining.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:06 pm

jake wrote: I do understand his frustration. Anyone would be frustrated to travel for a game, be ready to play the game, and then have it canceled. That being said, I don't think he should have vented that frustration as he did. Anyway, good luck tonight. Take down the Gaels.

Agreed on all points there... it's okay to vent, but Few needs to understand the larger responsibility/liability of the situation.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:20 pm

The perspective at GU regarding UP and most of the WCC is similar to the famous New Yorker cover showing how Manhattenites view the rest of the world.
Gonzaga - Saturday 1/7 - Page 2 9th_av11

Up in their charter jet, UP is flyover country.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:58 pm

From UP:

Portland-Gonzaga Scheduled For January 23 Make-Up Game

PORTLAND, Ore. (PortlandPilots.com) – The West Coast Conference has announced a make-up date for the postponed Portland versus Gonzaga game originally scheduled for Saturday, January 7. The two teams will now meet on Monday, January 23 in Portland with tip-off set for 5 p.m. at the Chiles Center.

The original contest was postponed due to a major winter storm sweeping the Pacific Northwest, which prompted multiple cancelations and closures in the City of Portland.

The January 23 game is still sold out, but is expected to be televised. Broadcast details are being finalized and will be announced soon.

Tickets purchased for the originally scheduled game will be honored on January 23. Fans that purchased tickets to the game but choose not to attend on the rescheduled date will be offered a ticket to another future Pilot home game of their choosing (based on inventory availability).

Any unused game ticket can be redeemed for any remaining Portland home game at the gate of the game, or by emailing the Pilot Box Office at taylord@up.edu in advance. Below is the remaining men's basketball home schedule. To view Portland's ticket policies, click here.

Portland Men's Basketball Remaining Home Games
Thursday, Jan. 12 vs. #21 Saint Mary's, 8 PM
Saturday, Jan. 14 vs. Loyola Marymount, 7 PM
Monday, Jan. 23 vs. #5 Gonzaga, 5 PM (sold out)
Saturday, Jan. 28 vs. San Diego, 7 PM
Thursday, Feb. 2 vs. Santa Clara, 7 PM
Thursday, Feb. 16 vs. Pacific, 7 PM
Saturday, Feb. 18 vs. San Francisco, 7 PM
Thursday, Feb. 23 vs. BYU, 7 PM

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dholcombe Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:19 pm

5 pm.... Whyyyyy

dholcombe
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:27 pm

dholcombe wrote:5 pm.... Whyyyyy

Because PDX traffic is so good that time of evening?

Because it allows the Zags to fly home and get to bed at their normal time?

Because there is a big dance already scheduled downtown for 8pm?

Probably an ESPN window.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Rumor is the league and the Pilots wanted the game played on January 30, but GU did not want a short week before playing at BYU on the following Thursday even though they could fly their charter flight home immediately after the UP game.

Having the game on the 30th would have meant a lot less travel for the Pilots as they would have been home for 3 straight contests.

As it is, the Pilots will play at USF on the 19th and at GU on the 21st before turning around to play them back-to-back on the 23rd at home before traveling to PU on the 26th.  

Hey, what's a little more missed class time?  Evil or Very Mad
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2