Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Updated WCC Standings

+2
goldhelmet
PilotNut
6 posters

Go down

Updated WCC Standings Empty Updated WCC Standings

Post by PilotNut Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:45 am

Through 2/21 games:

1 GU 12-0
2 UP 9-3
3 SMC8-4
4 SCU6-6
5 Pepp5-7
5 USD5-7
7 USF2-10
8 LMU1-11

SMC is in for a bit more of a battle @LMU and @Pepp than I would have thought going into this weekend...
PilotNut
PilotNut
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Updated WCC Standings Empty Re: Updated WCC Standings

Post by goldhelmet Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:01 am

Not only is our battle with SMC for 2nd an intriguing one going down the stretch, but look at the middle of the pack with SCU, USD, and Pepperdine all trying to avoid playing on Friday night in the WCC Tournament. Both SCU and USD have to play us and Gonzaga, while Pepperdine finishes with SMC and USF. It's going down to the wire... About the only certain things are that Gonzaga is the conference champion, and USF and LMU will definitely be playing on Friday night in the WCC Tournament.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 270

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:46 am

goldhelmet wrote:Not only is our battle with SMC for 2nd an intriguing one going down the stretch, but look at the middle of the pack with SCU, USD, and Pepperdine all trying to avoid playing on Friday night in the WCC Tournament. Both SCU and USD have to play us and Gonzaga, while Pepperdine finishes with SMC and USF. It's going down to the wire... About the only certain things are that Gonzaga is the conference champion, and USF and LMU will definitely be playing on Friday night in the WCC Tournament.

It's also certain we won't play Friday. We are playing for whether our first game is Saturday or Sunday.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11833
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:15 pm

It is certain that we are no worse than third place! I would have taken a promise of third place in a heart beat before the season started. When did we last achieve that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob's Jacket Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:50 pm

up7587 wrote:It is certain that we are no worse than third place! I would have taken a promise of third place in a heart beat before the season started. When did we last achieve that?

1994-95 when we finished 10-4 and tied for second. The best we've done since then was fifth in 1995-96 (tourney year) and 1997-96.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 875

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Purplegeezer wrote:
goldhelmet wrote:Not only is our battle with SMC for 2nd an intriguing one going down the stretch, but look at the middle of the pack with SCU, USD, and Pepperdine all trying to avoid playing on Friday night in the WCC Tournament. Both SCU and USD have to play us and Gonzaga, while Pepperdine finishes with SMC and USF. It's going down to the wire... About the only certain things are that Gonzaga is the conference champion, and USF and LMU will definitely be playing on Friday night in the WCC Tournament.

It's also certain we won't play Friday. We are playing for whether our first game is Saturday or Sunday.

You're right, but I thought that kind of went without saying at this point. My certainty comment was more of a general one regarding how many things are up in the air in the conference, not necessarily only about us. It wasn't intended to be exhaustive of every situation. Let me put it this way - the uncertainty is who finishes 2nd - us or SMC, as well as how 4th through 6th shakes out with SCU, USD, and Pepperdine.
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Hmmm, thanks to USF's win over SCU on Saturday, I believe that may change the tie-breaker situation. As I pencil this out, we really need to sweep this weekend and win outright.

If we lose to USD and Beat SCU (assuming GU sweeps), then not only are we tied with SMC, then USD and SCU are tied.... I am not sure which order ties are broken... top down, or bottom up. Do they break the UP/SMC tie first, or the USD/SCU tie?

Hopefully the USD/SCU tie first: If things otherwise pan out as they should, and USD & SCU are tied, it comes down to SCU's loss to USF and USD's loss to LMU. If USF beats LMU this weekend, USF finshes ahead in the standings, and SCU (should?) win the tiebreaker over USD. Then, our record over SCU (2-0) would trump SMC's 1-1 record vs. SCU.

If they break ties from the top down, and SCU & USD are tied, they cant break UP/SMC, so it would default to RPI, and SMC wins.

It seems to me you would break ties from the bottom up....?

Lets make the tiebreakers moot and just win it outright, before I go nuts with my pencil here... Pull Hair

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePrideTrumpet Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:30 pm

That last sentence is the most important one. Just remember: the Pilots are in complete control. Just win, baby!
PurplePrideTrumpet
PurplePrideTrumpet
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2880
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by goldhelmet Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:41 pm

PilotNut wrote:Hmmm, thanks to USF's win over SCU on Saturday, I believe that may change the tie-breaker situation. As I pencil this out, we really need to sweep this weekend and win outright.

If we lose to USD and Beat SCU (assuming GU sweeps), then not only are we tied with SMC, then USD and SCU are tied.... I am not sure which order ties are broken... top down, or bottom up. Do they break the UP/SMC tie first, or the USD/SCU tie?

Hopefully the USD/SCU tie first: If things otherwise pan out as they should, and USD & SCU are tied, it comes down to SCU's loss to USF and USD's loss to LMU. If USF beats LMU this weekend, USF finshes ahead in the standings, and SCU (should?) win the tiebreaker over USD. Then, our record over SCU (2-0) would trump SMC's 1-1 record vs. SCU.

If they break ties from the top down, and SCU & USD are tied, they cant break UP/SMC, so it would default to RPI, and SMC wins.

It seems to me you would break ties from the bottom up....?

Nut - You raise a very interesting question... St Marys split with Santa Clara, but they swept USD. So if we split with USD, and USD came in fourth, St Marys wins that tie-breaker. But... as you adeptly pointed out, which tie do you break first and how do you do it if tie-breaker situation #1 depends on tie-breaker situation #2 being resoved, but tie-breaker situation #2 depends on tie-breaker situation #1 being resolved? Which comes first - the chicken or the egg? Are we the chicken or the egg? It's enough to make your head hurt. confused Hey maybe, LMU or Pepperdine will upset St Marys and we won't have to worry about it.. Or, prefereably, we win out as you mentioned we might have to do anyway.

I went to the WCC website, but couldn't locate any tie-breaker rules. I'm sure many will be asking this week, if they haven't already.

Lets make the tiebreakers moot and just win it outright, before I go nuts with my pencil here... Pull Hair
goldhelmet
goldhelmet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by ManOfVision Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:41 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused by the WCC tie-breakers. However, if Mills is out, I'm not as concerned about getting SMC in the 1-4 bracket with GU.

ManOfVision
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down