Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOI Day 2011

+7
soccershins
jc
irish78
UPSoccerFanatic
wrv
PurplePrideTrumpet
Geezaldinho
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LOI Day 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: LOI Day 2011

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:13 am

Try it now. The URL changed

Aw hell, they've changed the url three times.
try this:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=%22List%20of%20Area%20Recruits%22%20%20malloy%20leahy%20%20site%3Aheraldnet.com&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=f441cba8a7737ba9&pf=p&pdl=3000

which should chase it down wherever they put it. it should be the first link. there's a second, now.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11838
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:21 am

Does Top Drawer or another site actually rank recruiting classes by school? I'm wondering how 2 top 100 players and others from the best in the NW list rank compared to years past. Thanks. Obviously having more scholarships to offer would also create a higher ranking class as well...

Unfortunately, UCLA's class looks pretty exceptional...a few 5 star players and they snagged the #1 player from the New England area too. Evil or Very Mad
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:41 pm

There is a fellow on BS who keeps a ranking (SoccerHunter).

He's a UNC fan. I'd take the list with a grain of salt. Even he calls it just for fun.

He uses topdrawer rankings, ODP and National team appointments, and applies some sort of formula.

It is subject to some problems, among them that it has been documented top drawer's player rankings have been shown to go up if a player commits to schools like UCLA or UNC, and that certain YNT coaches ( ahem) have been known to use YNT appointments as recruiting tools, particularly during the commitment season. expect most of those kids will wind up in YNT pools. Additionally, the number of players in your class affects the ranking. UP has small classes and doesn't recruit over the last "great class."

But here is an archive of a recent ranking of for the 2011 recruiting class commitments (bottom of page) 

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1281368-p-9.html

UCLA is indeed #1
UP is tied with WSU at #29
UNC is #31

Have fun!
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11838
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DaTruRochin Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:45 pm

I'd say rankings in this particular sport are going to be pretty damn impossible to accurately project... Unless a player invests the time in ODP, or whatever everything is very, very regionalized. I don't know if there really is a way to get a ranking without at least a rock salt sized grain...
DaTruRochin
DaTruRochin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 3576
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouchfutbol Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:04 pm

DaTruRochin wrote:I'd say rankings in this particular sport are going to be pretty damn impossible to accurately project... Unless a player invests the time in ODP, or whatever everything is very, very regionalized. I don't know if there really is a way to get a ranking without at least a rock salt sized grain...

Yeah, it is pretty impossible, and it's definitely apples and oranges to compare a class with 5 recruits to a class with 10. It's tough to deny that UCLA had a great class based on the information we have so far though...

Nothing against WSU, but, they would love to have our recruiting class. That ranking is a bit of a joke!
onetouchfutbol
onetouchfutbol
All-American
All-American

Number of posts : 2203
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by GUPhantom Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Looks like the 2011 class is set. We usually get small sprinkle of Parade HS All-Americans among the new recruits. They, in particular, always seem to live up to their billing and potential. At the very least, we get 1 with each class. And let's face it, once they're signed, the Parade AA are the blue chips who typically develop into the outstanding soccer players we love to watch. Most have been a catalyst to the successes of the Pilot program! Don't get me wrong. I trust the coaches have signed the best-fit players and most of them will blossom while here. But, I am puzzled sometimes why a reputable program like Portland, doesn't sweep in more commitments from players of this caliber. I know its still early in the formation of the 2012 class. But I worry about the future of the program if there aren't any incoming for the 2nd year in a row.

Our last College Cup appearance was 2005. 6 seasons ago already. I know! We've had a few injury-plagued seasons that stymied our chances. But there's been seasons with so much promise too. Things would turn around, right? I still can't grasp how a team with Sophie, Keelin, Ellie, Jessica, Dani, Cloee, Kendra at the core...didn't put add another championship trophy and banner to admire? Ah, but that's SPORTS! No guarantees! Love my Pilots! Is it time for Spring Soccer yet?

We are spoiled, aren't we? Rolling Eyes Exclamation
GUPhantom
GUPhantom
First man off the Bench
First man off the Bench

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2