Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vegas 2014

+3
PilotNut
blacksheep
DTLegend
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vegas 2014 Empty Vegas 2014

Post by DTLegend Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 am

I just want to through out a feeler on the tournament this season,

I am trying to throw together a last minute effort to make it to the tournament, but I'm a little concerned about cost.
The tournament is really inconvenient this season with Portland possibly playing Thursday, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday.
Anyway, I was curious if anyone had suggestions on places to stay/any ideas on cheap lodging options.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Vegas 2014 Empty Re: Vegas 2014

Post by blacksheep Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 am

I don't think I'm going to go this year, but I do have some thoughts.

It's likely going to be too late to stay at the Orleans, which is my preferred place to stay. Since you mentioned cost, I'd suggest staying at the Gold Coast. It's a sister property to the Orleans. There is a shuttle to and from the Orleans, so that will cut down on cab costs.
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 am

DTLegend wrote:The tournament is really inconvenient this season with Portland possibly playing Thursday, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday.

Maybe give it 10 days or so - after the USD game I think we'll have a pretty good idea about whether or not the Pilots will start the tournament on Thursday or Saturday. Three wins in the next three games - certainly an achievable goal for this team - would essentially clinch at least a top-six finish and a Saturday start, and knock a couple nights off the hotel for you.

Would love to make the trip out one of these years myself, but with a little Deaner on the way kind of tough to justify spending the $$$ on a Vegas trip. Especially since Vegas trips can go sideways in a hurry.

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 am

I would constantly check the Orleans website.  It is a very reasonable place to stay, especially when you take into account food, etc., as it is much more reasonably priced than the places on the Strip, and no driving/cab fares!  It isn't the fanciest place ever, but it is clean, quiet, etc... I have stayed here on non-WCC trips to Vegas as well.  There are a couple good restaurants inside, and you cant beat being connected to the arena.  If I recall, the Orleans has historically released some rooms close to the event date...

Like Blacksheep said, the Gold Coast is a good option, as they are relatively close and there are free shuttles that run between them... you can go ahead and make a reservation there and cancel it later if something opens up at the Orleans.  The Palms is also close, and both are within about 1-1.5 mile walking distance (if the weather cooperates and you need some fresh air).  I have never stayed at either of these places, but have had friends stay the Gold Coast for the tourney, and they said it was fine and similar to the Orleans.

Staying anywhere else pretty much requires cab fare/driving to the Orleans Arena, so it depends on what you want to spend.  I find the Vegas.com website a good place to start to compare rates.  The UP Alumni office has historically hosted events for all Pilot fans over the weekend at The Bellagio, and I know folks who stay at The Flamingo to be close to those events but at a much more reasonable cost.

Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 4259
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:50 am

I’ve heard that some don’t spend a lot of time in hotels and motels, but instead take advantage of the free limo service to the Spearmint Rhino Gentleman’s Club.  There’s a bit of a cover charge, but if you’re a regular they’ll waive the fee….and it’s only 3.5 miles from the Orleans Arena.

And best of all, with the encouragement of their boss, many of the entertainers at the Rhino are paying for their college education with their earnings at the club......without all the silly NCAA rules.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11427
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:56 pm

Found this website....don't really know what it is, but when I voted for the Pilots, UP was in 16th place....

http://6thfan.ncaa.com/
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:59 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:I’ve heard that some don’t spend a lot of time in hotels and motels, but instead take advantage of the free limo service to the Spearmint Rhino Gentleman’s Club.  There’s a bit of a cover charge, but if you’re a regular they’ll waive the fee….and it’s only 3.5 miles from the Orleans Arena.

And best of all, with the encouragement of their boss, many of the entertainers at the Rhino are paying for their college education with their earnings at the club......without all the silly NCAA rules.

Wait, didn't I see they just opened a Spearmint Rhino in Portland?
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:08 pm

blacksheep wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:I’ve heard that some don’t spend a lot of time in hotels and motels, but instead take advantage of the free limo service to the Spearmint Rhino Gentleman’s Club.  There’s a bit of a cover charge, but if you’re a regular they’ll waive the fee….and it’s only 3.5 miles from the Orleans Arena.

Wait, didn't I see they just opened a Spearmint Rhino in Portland?

Well, if Geg Anthony can sell T-shirts and cars, I don't see why not.

But the Grand Opening is apparently the 20th.

Not that I'd know anything about that... silent
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11833
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Vegas 2014 Empty Here's an option

Post by bullwinkle Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 pm

So DT, first off, I've got nothing against the Gentlemen's Club. I appreciate the irony of the name and heard they were going to name one of their limos "The Dipper." For the last few years, we book our first couple nights at the Orleans early and nothing more. When we get to Vegas, we go to the discount hotel websites and look for a nice hotel at a low cost. For the last two years, we stayed at one a couple blocks off the strip that normally goes for something like $80 to $200 a night (weekday/weekend) We got it for $25 a night two years ago and $34 a night last year. You could play with the approach on-line now to see if you can find something near the Orleans.

bullwinkle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:14 am

I ended up getting a room at the Las Vegas Hotel. It's pretty far away, but I can use a combination of the monorail/shuttle to get to the orleans, so we'll see how that goes.
Also, I hope this isn't creepy but I have an extra bed if anyone is looking for a last minute trip, we could go halfsies on the hotel room.
Finally, if anyone knows of any pregame/postgame events that would be awesome.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:30 am

DTLegend wrote:Finally, if anyone knows of any pregame/postgame events that would be awesome.
You can expect a pregame function for Pilots' fans at the Orleans prior to each men's and women's game....details later. Cool 

Post game.....you're on your own.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:06 am

DoubleDipper wrote:
DTLegend wrote:Finally, if anyone knows of any pregame/postgame events that would be awesome.

$100 on black.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:09 am

DoubleDipper wrote:

What? You mean you don't have development folks holding the door for your limo?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11833
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:47 pm

FYI, I just called The Orleans; even though their website shows them as sold out, they do have some rooms available... give them a call if you still need a room! 1-800-675-3267.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:28 pm

As expected, the Pilots will take on the LMU Lions at 6 PM on Thursday in Las Vegas.  The winner of the game will face BYU on Saturday at noon.

Both games will be streamed on W.tv and will be telecast on BYUtv.  

(Perspective: last year the Pilots beat the Lions twice during the regular season, but lost to LMU at the Orleans, 65-54).  Evil or Very Mad 
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Correction:  the winner of UP vs. LMU plays BYU at 2:00pm on Saturday.

The WCC Tournament Central with brackets, game info, TV schedule, etc. is here: LINK

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:59 pm

PilotNut wrote:Correction:  the winner of UP vs. LMU plays BYU at 2:00pm on Saturday.

The WCC Tournament Central with brackets, game info, TV schedule, etc. is here: LINK
Hmm, yea, that's different than the WCC announced in November regarding the #2 vs. #7/#10....I'd say 2:30 is a more likely time, but remember that's the Saturday game.....
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:00 am

Before the WCC selections come out later today, here are KenPom's choices:
1. Sam Dower, Gonzaga
2. Brad Waldow, Saint Mary's
3. Tyler Haws, BYU
4. Kevin Pangos, Gonzaga
5. Przemek Karnowski, Gonzaga
I think those are fair, although there are some who have stated that Thomas van der Mars should be in the mix.

Interesting stats pointed out by Coach Reveno today.....
Quick look at WCC end-of-years stats and 3 jump out. Jr Van der mars 1st in FG%. In A/TO, FR Wintering 2nd and So Pressley 3rd.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:47 pm

The U has confirmed that there will be official watch parties at the Lloyd Center Buffalo Wild Wings (1200 NE Broadway) for all UP men's games during the WCC tournament!

GO PILOTS!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksheep Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:33 pm

PilotNut wrote:The U has confirmed that there will be official watch parties at the Lloyd Center Buffalo Wild Wings (1200 NE Broadway) for all UP men's games during the WCC tournament!  

GO PILOTS!

Since neither one of us will actually be in Vegas, can I collect my bucket of beer at BWW? Evil or Very Mad 
blacksheep
blacksheep
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:50 pm

blacksheep wrote:
PilotNut wrote:The U has confirmed that there will be official watch parties at the Lloyd Center Buffalo Wild Wings (1200 NE Broadway) for all UP men's games during the WCC tournament!  

GO PILOTS!

Since neither one of us will actually be in Vegas, can I collect my bucket of beer at BWW? Evil or Very Mad 
I think if you look back through the thread, you will find that PilotNut WILL be in Las Vegas this year (but not until Saturday's game against BYU, apperently).  But you do make a point; doesn't he owe someone a bucket from last year?  On April 9th PilotNut wrote:
Congrats, B.S.! Oops, I mean BlackSheep.
I look forward to delivering your prize in 2014 in Vegas... just remember the may be a hefty beer tax on said bucket of beers!
And, as you may recall, PilotNut still owes a bucket to pilotfan4life from the 2012 Tournament.....and she IS now at least 21 years-old!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by PilotNut Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 pm

You all are having selective hearing... err...  reading!!  My full post was:
PilotNut wrote:Thank you, Blacksheep!   Basketball

After "technical difficulties" of my own in getting to Vegas this year, I will again offer the prize of an Orleans bucket o' beer to the winner at the 2014 WCC Tournament in Vegas.  This prize must be redeemed in person.  (The winner may negotiate an alternate prize, should beers not be appropriate).  

Now to figure out how far I will have Liberty going...  scratch

So clearly, BS needs to either pull a last minute Vegas run or collect next year!  And DD, didn't I deputize you to purchase Pilotfan4Life an alternate prize last year?!  Question Smile

So, I will let the prizes roll to next year.  BS, you are on for Vegas 2015.  PilotFan4Life...  are you going this year?

Last edited by PilotNut on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:32 am

Love Pomeroy's stuff. Here's his take on the WCC tourney -

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/wcc_log51

Pilots with a 2.7% chance of a tournament championship, 9.7% chance of making it to the finals, and a 20.4% chance of making it past BYU into the semifinals.

Vegas 2014 AChance

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:07 pm

I love that Pomeroy recognizes the increased opportunities for "bid thievery" with the change in format this year.

It happened in UP's favor in 1996..... Cool 

Opening odds from Las Vegas are up:

UP by 4.5 over LMU
UOP by 4 over SCU
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:36 pm

From Jim Beseda: It's usually madness for college basketball teams to reinvent themselves in March, but the Portland Pilots haven't had a choice.

http://portlandpilots.com/news/2014/3/5/MBB_0305140431.aspx
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next