Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alec Wintering to Portland

+3
NoPoNeighbor
Geezaldinho
IronLions
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Alec Wintering to Portland  Empty Alec Wintering to Portland

Post by IronLions Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:24 pm

I have been reading that Alec Wintering has committed to Portland.
IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Back to top Go down

Alec Wintering to Portland  Empty Re: Alec Wintering to Portland

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:51 pm

That is what this web site says: http://247sports.com/Player/Alec-Wintering-19732

Seems he left his school last year due to a dispute between a coach and a family member. http://prepinsiders.blogspot.com/2011/12/concord-cannon-star-alec-wintering.html

Back to top Go down

Post by IronLions Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Here is a story from when he was a youngster

http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=858641
IronLions
IronLions
Recruit
Recruit

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:50 pm

This is great to hear that someone has committed to UP. Can't we only take one recruit this year? We are only losing Rogers this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:31 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:This is great to hear that someone has committed to UP. Can't we only take one recruit this year? We are only losing Rogers this season.

I think we still have one from Timmy leaving
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11833
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:37 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:
RipCityPilot wrote:This is great to hear that someone has committed to UP. Can't we only take one recruit this year? We are only losing Rogers this season.

I think we still have one from Timmy leaving
I think RipCityPilot is right. We had two scholarships open due to graduation (Mitrovic and Waterford) and one due to Douglas' transfer. Three total. We have three incoming scholarship players (Ehlers, Pressley, Reinfelds). That fills all of this year's available spots.

Next year Rodgers will be the only graduate. So, unless we have more transfers, there is only one available scholarship for 2013.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:48 pm

ESPN.com doesn't rate him very highly. They rated him a 62. For comparison's sake, ESPN gave David Carr an 82 coming out of high school.

Here is something a bit more substantive from phenomhoopreport.com:

The 5’9 dynamo, another prospect in attendance fresh from the DTCC, showed poise and patience during the two games I observed him in. His compact frame is rock solid from head to toe and it’s no secret why guards have a hard time staying in front of him. His first step isn’t lightning quick but it’s not far from it. His strength and quicks along with his ability to put the ball on the deck make it nearly impossible for most defenders to keep him out of the lane. He made winning plays. When someone was open, he found them. When his team was down 3 with under a minute to play, he demanded the ball and buried a game-tying bomb. Very sure of himself without being cocky, the only thing shielding Wintering from more high major attention at this point is his height. Can he guard guys his position who is 8 inches taller than him? It’s a legitimate question that college coaches may have and one that I’d like to see answered too.
Sounds like maybe he's in the TJ Campbell mold. 5'9 and "rock solid from head to toe."

Last edited by NoPoNeighbor on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added more info)

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:11 am

It would be interesting to see how the ESPN ratings of players at the mid major level translate into performance. My impression is that below the top recruits they do not spend sufficient time to give particularly accurate ratings . . .at least in some cases. The fact that he had multiple D1 offers, more than Carr I believe, may be a better indicator of his college potential.

BTW, in related news the Oregonian 6A POY, Calvin Hermanson, just committed to the Gaels. I wish we could for once get in on locals with credentials--in this case he spurned the Beavers too.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1444
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:32 am

So, if Alec is it for recruiting for next year, it looks like the staff can double up on the morning golf rounds for a year, eh?
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11833
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:13 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:So, if Alec is it for recruiting for next year, it looks like the staff can double up on the morning golf rounds for a year, eh?
Umm, probably not. Word is the coaches have been hard at work at all the AAU tournaments in the US, and in Europe watching the U16 championships in Bucharest and Vilnius looking at ways to fill the 2014 and 2015 incoming classes.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11427
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:28 pm

Since that's it for 2013 recruiting, let's look ahead to the 2014 class...

If averything goes according to plan, in the Spring of 2014 we'll be losing three scholarship players: Riley, Thieleke, and Nicholas.

So, what positions should we be looking to fill with three 2014 scholarship spots? I'd say center is a priority, as both of our big men will be seniors in 2014-15. Landing a quality center in the 2014 class would prevent us from repeating this past season's experience in 2015-16, in which all of our post players were freshmen. We'll probably also be in need of another power forward who can play inside and shoot from mid-range, ala Nicholas. And then with the third spot, maybe a wing/shooting guard to take over from K. Bailey and Carr, who will be seniors in 14-15.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:58 pm

IronLions wrote:I have been reading that Alec Wintering has committed to Portland.
ILs, always love your "finds," but I'm concerned you spend way too much time in front of your computer. Razz

Thanks again for the update that is "spot on" as they say in England. We're very excited to have Alec's committment.......now we just have to get him signed!!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Just a heads up, not that it really matters:
http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2501/class/2013/page/offers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:08 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:
IronLions wrote:I have been reading that Alec Wintering has committed to Portland.
ILs, always love your "finds," but I'm concerned you spend way too much time in front of your computer. Razz

Pot, meet kettle! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjrMG2avRi8

Not to distract the more important discussion, but the young man can play a little. And he could alleviate the continual press we might see next year, maybe score some.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olnSkhjJT8I

This young man averaged over 23 points per game last year.

A pure point guard.

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:09 pm

Didn’t know whether to file this post under “I Love TJ Campbell” or here under “Alec Wintering to Portland.”

So, I asked myself a few weeks back, why the heck would Alec Wintering come from North Carolina to UP? It turns out the answer is a simple one, and it’s a good lesson in why we elders should set a good example with impressionable youngsters.

Before moving to NC to live with his brother, Alec lived in Phoenix, and for two years went to the same high school that TJ once attended, Sunnyslope. While at Sunnyslope Alec had the opportunity to work out and play with TJ, and TJ became a bit of a “hero/idol” to Alec. It was during those sessions that TJ related his very positive experience as a Pilot and his great admiration for the coaching staff. That, in a nutshell, is why Alec committed to UP.

It turns out Duquesne, Florida International, Manhattan and Iona, made offers for Alec, and he was getting attention from Gonzaga, St. Johns, Clemson, and Richmond.

Oh, and speaking of coaches, some of you older readers may have heard of the one-time NBA first-round pick and 13 year NBA veteran point guard who is Alec’s coach at United Faith Christian Academy; it’s Muggsy Bogues, all 5’3” of him! If anyone can coach a smallish PG, Alec is 5’9” (so far), it’s probably Muggsy.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ShipstadPilot11 Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:15 am

that is all-around awesome.
ShipstadPilot11
ShipstadPilot11
Starter
Starter

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:47 am

How many times will the Pilots be pressed before Wintering is here to help bring the ball up?

I am hoping that between the point and combo guards, Carr, Rodgers, Ahern and Reinfelds, we will be able to break some of the back court pressure that is coming beginning this fall.

Nice story about TJ Campbell and Wintering . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:47 am

Makes me wonder if Campbell also helped with the other side of this recruiting relationship, i.e. did he give Reveno the heads-up about Wintering, or encourage him to give Wintering a hard look? These kinds of connections can be really important for mid-major programs!

Also, from watching the YouTube clips, Wintering's stay of play (and body type) seems straight out of the TJ Campbell mold. I think this is a really good pick-up for the Pilots.

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:20 pm

What happens if other players decide to commit to UP in addition to Wintering? Does one go without a scholarship or do we withdraw those other offers?

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:47 pm

RipCityPilot wrote:What happens if other players decide to commit to UP in addition to Wintering? Does one go without a scholarship or do we withdraw those other offers?
Is that just a hypothetical question?

We have no other offers out, nor do we have any planned for the high school class of 2013!

We currently have two walk-on players, David Ahern and Taylor Mossman, and 13 scholarship players. If anyone else would like to commit to walk-on, that's fine....there is no limit by rule, but there are a limited number of seats on the bench. Razz
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by NoPoNeighbor Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:26 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:We have no other offers out, nor do we have any planned for the high school class of 2013!
I have no doubt that DD's info is more accurate than ESPN's, but the latter lists two other 2013 recruits who received offers from UP: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2501/class/2013/page/offers

NoPoNeighbor
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:55 pm

NoPoNeighbor wrote:
DoubleDipper wrote:We have no other offers out, nor do we have any planned for the high school class of 2013!
I have no doubt that DD's info is more accurate than ESPN's, but the latter lists two other 2013 recruits who received offers from UP: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2501/class/2013/page/offers
OK, good point. I think I need to rephrase my initial response:

We no longer have any active offers to any other recruits.

In the recruiting "game," a school may make a "top 5" list of players that all schools may be going for, and a "second 5" list of players the school would really like to have and may have a legitimate shot at. IF Perrantas and Jackson were made offers, they did not respond in an affirmative manner, and the staff moved on. Any recruit that may have been made an offer will know right away if the offer is withdrawn and/or no scholarships are available.

I hope that answers the question a little better....there are no active offers on the table; all who may have been made offers know the offer has been withdrawn. Neutral

Let me just say, that Alec Wintering was on "top 5 list." He brings the qualities that UP/Rev requires. Good in the classroom, toughness, the desire to be better than anyone else, and the personality to work his tail off to achieve his goals. He’s got one more year in high school, and a lot of room to grow and get even better.

DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:19 am

Hmm, do you suppose he's been reading PN? Smile

This from Rev this morning:
Always fascinated by "offer dance" between coaches and recruits. Offer only means something if school wants your commitment TODAY.

Also, question motive of coaches, etc that count the offers of "their" player. The goal is to find the perfect fit, not accumulate offers.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next