Pilot Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

+14
DaTruRochin
goldhelmet
PurplePrideTrumpet
bdaddy
blacksheep
dholcombe
oldtimer
DoubleDipper
onetouchfutbol
PilotNut
Geezaldinho
wrv
DTLegend
NoPoNeighbor
18 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 8 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:52 pm

DoubleDipper wrote:That is the same reaction our two Finish women’s players had, and it is also almost word-for-word what Oskars said during his first summer in Portland. Smile
Not the best recommendation, is it? Those aren't the kind of 'one and done' players we would hope to have.

Back to top Go down

2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 8 Empty Re: 2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun

Post by DTLegend Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:25 am

Well, I think I found the right guy who retweeted Bryce last night.

Aitor Zubizarreta

If his game is nearly as awesome as his name I'm in.

https://twitter.com/AitorXubi9#

nice day yesterday, I watched my first NBA game, Blazers vs Brooklyn. Thanks Pilots men's Basketball

Last edited by DTLegend on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 am

DTLegend wrote:Well, I think I found the right guy who retweeted Bryce last night.

Aitor Zubizarreta

If his name game is nearly as awesome as his name I'm in.

https://twitter.com/AitorXubi9#

nice day yesterday, I watched my first NBA game, Blazers vs Brooklyn. Thanks Pilots men's Basketball
FYP

Yep, that's him, good detective work. tongue

You can search his name and find some video and judge for yourself......
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11452
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 am

Also, if you want to read into Rev's tweet (as I like to do), have at it:

It was a great day on the Bluff and a great day for the program

Could mean nothing, Could mean something. Who knows

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:02 am

DTLegend wrote:Also, if you want to read into Rev's tweet (as I like to do), have at it:

It means something.....

I'd say it's once again time for Deaner to change the title of this thread by adding a third name. pirat
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by DTLegend Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 am

If that is the case, judging by Rev's reaction, he seems pretty excited about where the program is heading. So that's a good sign??

Here's an updated roster:

2014 2015 2016 2017
pg Ahern Wintering
Zubizarreta
sg Thieleke
Riley
Carr
Sharp
Pressley
sf K. Bailey
pf Nicholas J. Bailey Ehlers
c van der Mars
Barker

Obviously some of the positions can be changed (Pressley can play point, as can Carr, Ehlers could probably play the 3, as could Thieleke) but this gives a pretty decent idea of where we are.

DTLegend
Pilot Nation Regular
Pilot Nation Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 am

And, if all the planets align, we may even see Oskars back for the 2014-15 season, with graduation/eligibility ending in 2017.

I recently read three tweets from Oskars that give some hope for his return to Portland one day:
That made all the difference in the world for me... I have nothing but love for you Ptown!
Man, I needed that wakeup call….I was heading down the wrong path but I’m back on track now.
Even when I was close to defeat I rose to my feet!
I’m still guessing Oskars can come back to UP once he meets certain conditions outlined by UP. His coaches and his teammates want him back, his fans want him back, but will he every come back?

I’m also guessing it’s going to be at least another 14 months before he is eligible to return…..a lot can happen and attitudes can change between now and then….I personally hope we see him enrolled at UP and playing in the Chiles Center again!
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:20 am

DoubleDipper wrote:I'd say it's once again time for Deaner to change the title of this thread by adding a third name. pirat

Done and done.

Kid shows a ton of skill in this clip. As suggested by DD, tough to gauge comptition -

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:42 am

That clip looks like from a while ago. Those kids look pretty young.

I wonder if he is related to Andoni Zubizarreta who played for Barça and was Spain's keeper through four World Cups? He is now Barça's director of soccer operations.
2013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 8 82b068d0769beedd32d88f80d3564ff62013 Recruiting: Wintering + Sharp + Zubizarreta + Gerun - Page 8 1feb351c8f27a9946ff6cdb38ca0682d
How many Zubizarretas can there be in the World? Is it the Basque Smith?

(etymology--"old bridge")

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Number of posts : 11838
Location : Hopefully, having a Malbec on the square in Cafayate, AR
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am

DTLegend wrote:Also, if you want to read into Rev's tweet (as I like to do), have at it:

Right after that tweet, Rev retweeted this comment from Rhode Island coach Dan Hurley:
Dan Hurley wrote:Its invaluable to recruit kids from great programs/coaches. Been coached and corrected not just enabled/stroked. Been held accountable.
Hope it means good things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:17 am

For those of you with a cubical well away from the boss, here is most of a game in which he scored 35, the game was on Feb 9. He is listed at 6'3" in the credits. #9 in red. The clip says Basque junior country league.

Last edited by PurpleGeezer on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:17 am

PurpleGeezer wrote:That clip looks like from a while ago. Those kids look pretty young.

The clips where he's wearing #9 are from his games with ISB's junior club....the clips where he's #5 are from his games with the senior club.

The senior club is (I think) like the farm team for the top team in the ISB club, which plays in the Silver League in Spain - the third highest level of Spanish basketball. The top team has former VCU forward Lance Kearse on its roster. Aitor actually played a game at this level a couple of weeks ago - I'm trying to drag up a clip on that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 am

Here is Aitor playing for Azpeitia Azkoitia ISB in the Adecco Plata league on March 15. As I mentioned in the previous post, Adecco Plata league is the 3rd highest in the Spanish basketball tree. Kearse wears #7 for ISB.

Aitor is wearing #6 in this clip and comes on for about five minutes the start of the second quarter (18:52 in the video).

Of course, this five-minute clip is about as valuable as you'd think a five-minute clip would be! Most notable was a missed three-pointer in transition (23:35 in the video).

Back to top Go down

Post by Geezaldinho Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 am

Haha, they couldn't get but four letters of Zubizarreta on the shirt Very Happy

Bill Johnson is going to have his tongue twisted in a knot next year.
Geezaldinho
Geezaldinho
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 pm

PurpleGeezer wrote:Bill Johnson is going to have his tongue twisted in a knot next year.
Maybe. I wonder if one of the point guards will redshirt next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:29 pm

up7587 wrote:Maybe. I wonder if one of the point guards will redshirt next year.
My first thought also, 7587.

I've seen all three of UP's recruits in the Chiles Center, and even though it was quite awhile ago that Alec was in Portland, Aitor is the one of the three that will have the most difficult time competing physically, IME.

We all know anything can happen between now and WCC play next December, but if any of the three get’s significant minutes, it will be Bobby and Alec, and Aitor will have time to develop.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:37 pm

If this player is Portland bound, it is clear that Reveno is seeking outside shooting, a factor that had more effect on the fortunes(state) of this program than the repeated suggestion that the attitude of those in the program or just outside the program is lacking, and only if improved the three point shots might fall and the winning percentage improve. From the clips, this fellow appears to have a shooting touch similar to Sharp, and if they both can get that shot off under pressure, . . .Go Pilots.

This being a more direct route to improving the program, I prefer it.

In assessing the greatness of the day for the Pilots, I am prepared, but hesitant to defer to Reveno's judgment. If next year we return to the days of raining threes on opponents, well then, it was a great day.

Keeping in mind the current scholarship situation, I assume we are not going to sign another player, so no Luka Bazooka or European wonder next year. No indication, I assume, that anyone else is departing this year?

Last edited by wrv on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2007-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:58 am

Reveno writes that it was a "great day" for the program and on the Bluff. Might the reference be to the weather? Or is Reveno referring to the commitment of a recruit? If so, does Reveno use the word properly, excluding the mundane use of great suggested at the end? If Reveno knows the definition, and he might just, does he use the word in an objective sense? Are we to assume that the program's fortunes were moved forward to an extent "remarkable in magnitude?" Is Zubizarreta "remarkably skilled" or "superior in character or quality?"

I hope Reveno is not misusing the word. In my mind when the word is used I think Ravio or Sikma or even some long ago players . . .but that might be too much to hope for.

Definition of GREAT

a : notably large in size : huge
b : of a kind characterized by relative largeness —used in plant and animal names
c : elaborate, ample <great detail>
a : large in number or measure : numerous <great multitudes>
b : predominant <the great majority>
: remarkable in magnitude, degree, or effectiveness <great bloodshed>
: full of emotion <great with anger>
a : eminent, distinguished <a great poet>
b : chief or preeminent over others —often used in titles <Lord Great Chamberlain>
c : aristocratic, grand <great ladies>
: long continued <a great while>
: principal, main <a reception in the great hall>
: more remote in a family relationship by a single generation than a specified relative <great-grandfather>
: markedly superior in character or quality; especially : noble <great of soul>
a : remarkably skilled <great at tennis>
b : marked by enthusiasm : keen <great on science fiction>
—used as a generalized term of approval <had a great time> <it was just great>
— great·ness noun

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Only seven more months of word definitions until basketball season starts!

WRV - I know you were just using him as an example but as we talked about him a few months ago, I thought I'd mention that I am unaware of the Bazooka receiving any D1 offers. I do know that he basically has his pick of any CIS school, though! SFU is also after him so he may be more of a solid D2 prospect than a potential mid-major PF.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:51 pm

DeanMurdoch wrote:
WRV - I know you were just using him as an example but as we talked about him a few months ago, I thought I'd mention that I am unaware of the Bazooka receiving any D1 offers. I do know that he basically has his pick of any CIS school, though! SFU is also after him so he may be more of a solid D2 prospect than a potential mid-major PF.
Good update, Deaner.

I too have kept an eye on Bazooka and, as you say, there has been no activity whatsoever from the lower 48 D-1 schools. I did see Luka was touring with the boys and playing ball in China; so that's a good early life lesson in diplomacy. We'll have to ask Pooh if he saw him play. Smile
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:53 pm

A few nice words about Pilot commit Bobby Sharp and Reveno's reasons for seeking the aid of his basketball skills next year. Enjoy.

Sharp going Pilot-ing
Kevin McCarthy
NorCalPreps.com Analyst

Talk about it in the Message Boards

Sharp elevated his profile among four-year coaches this past season
When you come out of high school with a solid shooting touch and expand on that plus add other assets to your game while at a community college, scholarship offers befriend you. This describes the path taken by Bobby Sharp and now he's on a journey north.

The former Cardinal Newman High and current Santa Rosa Junior College backcourter enjoyed a remarkable season, one in which he averaged a team-leading 17.3 points per game on 47% overall shooting, 44% from long distance (261 attempts) and 87% at the foul line. The 6-footer was also credited with 47 assists. Such contributions earned him California Community College First Team honors and elevated his profile among four-year coaches.

Eric Reveno, who knows a thing or two about northern California hoops from his days at Stanford, needed to upgrade his Portland squad's shooting and scoring. The Pilots were accurate with 41% of their shot attempts in the recently concluded season, 31% from beyond the three-point line. Even at the foul line, it was a need-to-improve 68%. Plus, 61.0 points per outing won't win all that many contests.

Need met talent and, after a recent official trip to the Rose City, Sharp now has a scholarship to Portland, a member of the West Coast Conference (WCC). That means he will be back in the Bay Area -- at St. Mary's, USF and Santa Clara -- during conference play plus Pacific is now also a WCC member.

So why Portland?

"I really felt comfortable with Coach [Reveno] and they were very straightforward and respectful in explaining what they were looking for," Sharp said. "I met the guys and it all seemed like a perfect fit."

Sharp consulted his parents and Santa Rosa Coach Craig McMillan, with all parties offering thumbs up and he then cast his lot with the Pilots.

It's worth noting that Reveno has previously utilized long distance shooting as a significant part of his offensive attack. Departing after the 2010-11 season, 6-foot-2 Jared Stohl finished in the top spot for three-pointers made in the program.

Sharp is looking to major in communications.

He thanked "Coach McMillan, [Cardinal Newman] Coach Tom Bonfigli and [basketball trainer] Ned Averbuck for all the help they provided along the way and to my parents for all their support."

Sharp won't be the sole northern Californian repping the purple as Bryce (Jesuit High) Pressley and David (Marin Catholic High) Ahern return as sophomores for Portland.

He got the opportunity to play a bit during his stay and reports that the rims in the Chiles Center are "great."

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotram Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 pm

2013 transfer list.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22007798/2013-transfer-list-first-edition
pilotram
pilotram
Playmaker
Playmaker

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleDipper Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:51 pm

pilotram wrote:2013 transfer list.
It's my recollection the two Pepperdine players that are transferring were of little help to the team on game day despite their great size.......and had injury problems too.

Probably a good move for the kids and PU too.
DoubleDipper
DoubleDipper
Pilot Nation Legend
Pilot Nation Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:24 pm

7-0 RS Soph Maehlen played in 21 games, 213 minutes, scored 32 points, 35 rebounds.
6-8 Soph Ochenje played in 11 games, 50 minutes, scored 10 points, 10 rebounds.

Hard to think anyone would leave Malibu voluntarily. Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by wrv Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:36 am

Rafal Juc ‏@rafjuc 2 Apr According to his Twitter account @AitorXubi9 6-2 combo Aitor Zubizarreta ('95) from class 2013 visited University of Portland past week.Retweeted by EuropeanProspects
Retweets 8:06 AM - 2 Apr 13 · Details

Confirmation . . .

wrv
Playmaker
Playmaker

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next